Flame escaping throught pilot light hole

Old 04-09-17, 02:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flame escaping throught pilot light hole

I have 30 year old natural gas Allied SuperHot GS-135 boiler.

Lately there has been a metallic burning smell, something like that for a very hot iron. When I went to investigate, I found that when the burners were on, there was a flame flame poking itself out of the hole used to light the pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRZK1pzqQU I removed the manifold assembly, removed and clean each of the burner tubes with a find wire brush, and make sure the jets were not plugged (please correct my terminology). I did find that the jets and burners nearest the pilot light hole (and nearest the thermocouple tubing) were a bit sooty - other were clean.

I put everything back together, fired-up the boiler, and ... the problem was still there.

I'm hoping for some suggestions as what to look at next. Could this be related to a venting problem, or placement of the thermocoupler tubing?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ron McLeod; 04-09-17 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-09-17, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is called flame rollout. It's usually caused by a venting issue. Not enough air flow to draw the flame towards the flue. Could be a flue obstruction. Possibly a partially closed flue damper.

Old 04-09-17, 06:30 PM
R
Thanks Pete.

I didn't include this in my original post, but it may actually be relevant. This is a shot looking up the fire box at the heat exchanger. I reached-in with a nylon-bristled brush and removed as much of the soot as I could, but I didn't do any cleaning from the top side -- I'll tackle that next, and at the same time inspect the flue.

Also, looking at the image closer, I notice something poking-through. Maybe that is part of my obstruction problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-10-17, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
It's hard to tell what that is hanging there. Possibly a piece of gasket although I would think it would need to be metal so it didn't burn.
A clean heat exchanger is very important to proper operation and exhaust flow.

Old 04-12-17, 04:26 PM
W
I had a similar problem "flame roll out". After cleaning the heat exchange and verifying no blockage chimney I still had a yellow flame. I did more research and read that it could be a bad gas valve something to do with pressure. Turns out after cleaning I discovered a crack in the heat exchanger. Water was dripping down. The soot actual helped minimize the amount of water dripping. Ended up having to get a new boiler. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: