Installing Ecobee3 but lack a C wire

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-17, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Ecobee3 but lack a C wire

Hello All,

In short I am attempting to install an Ecobee3 but my current thermostats lack a C wire so I need to find where I can pull the 24V from.

I recently purchased my first home so I am rather new to the world of thermostats and HVAC. My house has 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) and is heated through forced hot water. Here is a link to a series of pictures I will be referencing in this post. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet . The photos are numbered for convenience.

The current thermostats are a Honeywell model, as seen in pictures 1, 2, and 3. As seen in picture 3 it appears that the red and white wires are installed backwards.

A honeywell L8148J is installed in the furnace but I can not find an easy or obvious place to pull 24V from. See pictures 4, 5, and 6.

I believe an additional 24V transformer is installed, as seen in picture 9, but I am not 100% certain that what I photographed is in fact a transformer. It does however look like there is a C terminal marked on that "transformer". If this is in fact a 24V transformer then I imagine my best bet would be to connect to that C terminal and run a wire to where I plan to attached the Ecobee3 Power Extender Kit.

Please let me know if my logic is sound or if you have any advice. Every comment is appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You must use the PEK (power extender kit). https://www.ecobee.com/faq/i-do-not-...l-thermostats/

Old 07-09-17, 08:26 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
The Honeywell L8148J transformer 24 VAC leads are connected to terminals TV and Z-W. Try connecting the C wire to Z-W.

The black wires from the transfomer to T1 & T2 are the secondary 24 volt leads. With a meter You can verify the voltages between C and Z-W by using the black wire points. One black should be zero volts to C and 24 to Z-W. The other black should be zero to Z-W and 24 to C.

Last edited by doughess; 07-09-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

TV = red or R
T = white or W
Z = green or Common.

Use the third wire in the thermostat cable for your C wire.
The PEK module is not needed here.

Old 01-12-18, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
This is a very commonly asked question. Each installation has it's own peculiarities which is best handled in a dedicated thread so feel free to start a thread with your question.

Closed Thread