Wiring Honeywell L8148E, Taco Zone valves and an Ecobee3

Old 09-11-17, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Honeywell L8148E, Taco Zone valves and an Ecobee3

I have to rewire my Honeywell aquastat L8148E to my two taco zone valves (571-2) and my thermostats (Ecobee3). From looking online and this forum, I come to the same diagram as found in this thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ne-valves.html I want to use the transformer on aquastat so it should look like this:

My question: I used my multimeter to measure the voltage. I get 24V between Z and Tv which is expected. But I get 24V between Tv and T and no voltage between T and Z. Is this correct?

I have also replaced my old mercury/spring thermostats with new ecobee thermostats and ran new wires. Is it possible to power them from the aquastat? I found another thread which said that the wiring would be:

Tstat -- Wire --- Boiler
Rh ----- R ------- Tv
W ------ W ------ T
C ------- B ------- Z

If I wire the thermostat according to the diagram, I wouldn't also be able to wire it like this. I did install another 24V transformer which I intended to use for the new thermostats but I just wanted to double check.

This is how the transformer would get wired to the Ecobee, right? (There is no AC, only heat)
Tstat -- 24V Transformer
Rc ----- 24V -
C ------ 24V +

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is how the transformer would get wired to the Ecobee, right? (There is no AC, only heat)
Tstat -- 24Vac Transformer
Rc ----- 24Vac
C ------ 24Vac
Since it's AC... there is no +/- or polarity.

With a separate transformer for the stats.... you'll need four wires. 24vac to the stats on two wires and from the stat (Rh and W1) to the zone valve on the other two wires.