Symptoms of return line valve closed

Old 09-23-17, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Symptoms of return line valve closed

I am not getting any heat in one of my supply lines. My system does not have zones but
​has 3 supply and 3 returns. The boiler pump pulls the water through my system. I suspect that my return line valve is closed but it is in a very tough spot to get to in the attic. I can bleed my supply line all day and hot water still won't come out. My question is, if the return valve is in fact closed on that supply line, would that be the cause of only room temp water coming from the bleeder?

I will look at the valve tomorrow, but just wanted to pick your minds before I climb in the attic.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-17, 07:46 PM
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
" I can bleed my supply line all day and hot water still won't come out"

How are you bleeding that line if the valve is closed. If you have 3 supplies and 3 returns how are they configured with only 1 pump and t-stat.

Any pics. If the return valve is closed it will not let water return to the boiler to reheat. It will stop the flow of water through that zone.

The drawoff to bleed the line should be before the shutoff valve so even if the valve is closed you should still get hot water when bleeding. You just won't get any circulation when you close the drawoff and stop the flow.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-23-17, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 516 Votes on 486 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A agree... some pictures would be a tremendous help.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It's not usual to find boiler lines in the attic.
I'm guessing this may be a finished attic ?
How would the valve mysteriously get closed ?

Old 09-24-17, 08:18 AM
Unless we can imagine how a valve could have been shut, I think it is more likely that the line is air bound.

When did the system last work satisfactorily? Has the system been continuously pressurized since that time? Has the system been opened for maintenance?

Old 09-24-17, 04:12 PM
Quick update, the house was built in 1940 with many additions throughout the year. When I was renovating a room (tearing out paneling and installing new windows and drywall,) I noticed a valve in the ceiling that was closed. I went up in the attic this morning (we are having a heatwave here in Ohio and it's unbearable up there during the day), and I noticed two valves (supply and return) under the floor between the joists. These valves were also closed. They seemed to be newer valves and I was able to open them and immediately heard water flow through the pipes.

This brings me to my next question, when I opened the valve the auto fill kicked in to feed my boiler. My question is, it continued to fill for hours and I haven't noticed any leaks. The pipes are in the ceiling in this area of the house so it would be apparent if they were leaking. What would cause the system to continuously fill besides a leak? The auto fill valve was just installed last year.

Old 09-25-17, 10:10 AM
The auto fill valve shouldn't be open "for hours." Something must be haywire. It seems unusual for water pipes to be running through the attic. How would they keep from freezing?

We need some photos and/or a diagram of your system. What does the boiler gauge read for the system pressure?

I suspect that you are not seeing what you think you are seeing. It might be worthwhile to pay somebody to look over your system.

Old 09-25-17, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
Yes photos of boiler, heat emitters and anything else you can post..

Sounds like a mono flo tee system you may have.. 1940's could mean you have old stuff still in place there.. It may be a gravity system as far as we know.. \\Too many variables to give any advice here..