Disconnecting Gas Boiler for Removal

Old 09-28-17, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting Gas Boiler for Removal

Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to get a backup gas boiler for my 29 yr old weil mclain boiler cheap. One of the reasons it is cheap is because I would have to disconnect it and haul it out. Can anyone give me a rundown of how they would go about removing a working boiler so as not to get injured or damage the boiler? I am thinking I would need a pipe cutter, hacksaw, and some monkey wrenches along with some wire cutters and a hand truck. I am not the handiest guy in the world, but I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty and sweating.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
You'd need to cap off the gas line and don't forget to drain the boiler and lines first before cutting, It's pretty hard to hurt the boiler. Disconnect the fittings you can and cut the fittings you can't unscrew on the side away from the boiler.

Old 09-28-17, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am hoping that the system is already drained. From what I have been sent I think I can shut the gas off between the hot water heater and the boiler with a valve and not worry about capping a line. This is not my house. Seller wants a couple hundred bucks for the boiler, but I need to cut it out and get it out of the basement.

My initial thoughts were to shut off water valves and the gas valve assuming that the system was already drained. Then disconnect any wiring first, then cut gas line, then cut the copper. I am new to boilers. Moved last July and have a 29yr old boiler here. that for a couple hundred bucks would love to have a back up in case something happens upon startup this fall or worse yet this winter.

I appreciate the response. I was thinking it can not be that hard to remove one. Installing one on the other hand is out of my league. Any other words of caution or advice are certainly welcome.

Steve

Old 09-28-17, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
Get a cap for the gas line. It is unwise to leave a live gas pipe uncapped..... regardless if there is a valve.

Old 09-28-17, 08:36 PM
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
I was just at an account where an old boiler was disconnected and the gas line left turned off but uncapped. The properly owner was fined $4,000 for the violation.
The boiler I removed from my old house was 700 lbs. you may need extra help and hand trucks/dollys to move it.
All other water/energy sources should also be capped and sealed as well.