New Taco 120 Pump/Bracket Assembly - First Oiling

Old 10-03-17, 12:03 PM
R
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
New Taco 120 Pump/Bracket Assembly - First Oiling

At some point I 'm going to be replacing the bracket assembly on a Taco 120 (3-piece) circulator, so I ordered it online and received it the other day. The bracket assembly came in a sealed Taco box and has all the Taco markings.

Unlike my previous experience(s) with Sid Harvey rebuilds, this Taco factory replacement bracket assembly did not come with a tube of oil, or any "start up" oiling instructions.

I'm assuming that the process is the same with all similar-type Taco units - fill the reservoir with about a tube's-worth of #30 and then oil it annually thereafter.

Does anybody see anything wrong with doing that?

Old 10-03-17, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
On your next rebuild..... send that old Taco pump packing and replace it with a new self contained unit.

Old 10-03-17, 05:34 PM
R
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Wink

On your next rebuild..... send that old Taco pump packing and replace it with a new self contained unit.
I wish it were that easy.. .

Doing so would require some re-piping (cutting and threading new 1.5" black pipe), as well as changing out the flanges, as far as I can tell.

Keep in mind that the Taco 120 pump is larger in size than the 110 series pumps. See: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...es/110Subf.pdf. (The application is a small apartment building).

Old 10-03-17, 07:28 PM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
Rockledge, you are right. They make wet rotor pumps just as powerful but you cannot get by the spacing difference. At some point when it's not an emergency it might be worth it.

You lubricate with #30 oil but be careful not to overfill. It only takes a few drops. Too much oil will ruin the bearing assembly as much as no oil.

You may be able to make up the difference by removing the flanges and adding a shutoff valve if you don't have any. They make valves with a male and female end on the same valve to save space.

Hope this helps a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: