Fire brick?

Old 10-04-17, 12:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire brick?

1984 DUNKIRK oil fired steam boiler looking through the burner window i see a hole burnt in the i guess thats what they call fire brick?it looks like a piece of fire board just wrapped around in side. how does one get inside to change? it looks like you have take 1/2 of it apart to get there?or if i take off the flue can i get tit from the top? 1984 dunkirk 1345 07840042 thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 03:29 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
When you say 1984 Dunkirk, is that the model or the manufacturing date. What is the input of this unit; is it in a residence or a commercial building. Answering these questions will help someone provide a good answer. One thing, if this is a residential boiler, my first guess would be that the wrong nozzle was installed or the unit has not been serviced properly and the oil or the flame has impinged on the chamber burning a hole in it. The size , the firing rate and the more information will help in providing a better answer.

Old 10-05-17, 09:42 AM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
All that info is important besides pics if possible. Another thing possibly of more urgency is if the boiler is cast or steel.

Being cast iron the chamber is surrounded by water and the defective chamber will not hurt the cast sections. If the boiler is steel the chamber is below the water line and if not replaced the fire eventually would burn a hole through the boiler casing. In a dry base boiler the chamber is the only thing keeping the fire contained and must be replaced.

To answer your replacement question sight unseen the panel that the burner is attached to must be removed to gain access. There is no access from the top so don't waste your time pulling anything apart from there.

Pictures are needed to see what you have.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-05-17, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Votes on 1,091 Posts
Dunkirk 1345. There are usually letters in the model number.
The serial # 07840042 has July of 1984 as the manufacturing date.

how-to-insert-pictures.html

Old 10-06-17, 09:54 AM
B
re steam

burner is cast iron going to have pic Monday. is see how its done. i took cover off mine large cast door to enter.i haven't taken door off yet. they say to clean it out and the way i read if you cant the right replacement for box. get the wet blanket type cut and fit.they say cover floor and sides.does that also cover the top of the box? reassemble start up and in 5 min that blanket gets hard and is done does that sound right. this has been serviced once a year for 21 years really no probs they just told me this time there is a hole burnt through.from the looks through the little door they did nothing with the fire box.i guess they just did the oil service part of maintenance. i guess i should no but don't i have been and auto and marine mech for 62 years this didn't seam that hard to do after looking at you tube but i could be wrong thanks for the help and i will get back Monday with pictures thanks again

Old 10-06-17, 10:14 AM
S
What you are describing is what they call Wet Pack Combustion Chamber Liner. It comes in a roll and can be cut to size.

You cover the floor and back mainly and sides if you have enough. The floor and back are the most important if you have a cast iron boiler. You DO NOT cover the top as that is how the combustion gases get to the chimney so that must be left open.

The way this works is once the heat gets to the soft wet pack it hardens up and conforms to the shape of the chamber you lined.

www.lynnmfg.com/hvac/chamber-perfect-fit/

The above sight is one place you may find what you are looking for. They have all kinds of replacement chambers if you choose to go that route.

It is a fairly easy project once you get access to the chamber.

Old 10-12-17, 01:24 PM
B
re steam

ok i tried to get pic on i am dot too good at it. i found a friend who does heating. he said if the old box is still there clean bottom and sides cut liner to fit around the inside of old box.does that makesound right to9 you guys?next tue i am going to open cover and see whats going on and ill be back thanks

Old 10-12-17, 08:05 PM
S
Not really. By lining the inside of the firebox you're reducing the size of the overall chamber. Chambers are sized by the size of the boiler and firing rate. If you relined with wetpak, once it expands it will be much too small for your firing rate.

If your flame is impinging on the back of the chamber now, imagine what it will do to a smaller chamber.

Old 10-24-17, 06:55 PM
B
re fire box

havent been back in a while.i took door off looks like 1/2 a wast paper basket i am trying to locate one line. one side of the burner had a plate about 12x 12 inch i i guess for the hot water coil? i looked like it had cement on it witch had dryed up fell to the bottom.is this what they call furnace cement? i guess i should put back? thanks for all the help

Old 10-25-17, 12:02 PM
B
re fire box

i cant seem to find a box that size. i see some of these kits where you cement them together.can i get a slightly bigger one can i cut it and cement it?also what about the kaowool board can i make one with that and cement it? thanks

Old 10-25-17, 01:44 PM
S
In post #6 I gave you a link to Lynn firebox Co. If you contact them, the phone number is listed and tell them what you have they will be able to help you instead of going through this torture.

Without pics or more info we're flying blind here. I can say with some certainty that there is not a boiler around that they don't make a chamber for.

Give them the name of your boiler and they should be able to match it up.

Old 11-07-17, 12:43 PM
B
re box

been awhile back again well i have remeasured furnace again. spoke to a tech at lynn products nothing ready made that size i spoke to him about cutting one of the boxs to make it smaller and use that glass cement he said it would work. ps i have searched the web and found nothing what do you think on cutting it. or maybe another idea thanks

Old 11-07-17, 01:35 PM
B
re fire box

another ? i marked the blast tube and then slid it out of the cover easy to get to cover. as i said i did mark it what is the measurement that that tube should be slid in? so i can i can check thanks maybe was never in right thanks again

Old 11-07-17, 03:49 PM
S
You can alter the firebox to fit as long as you end up with the proper size. Another option is to just buy the wetpack and form your own. With a cast iron boiler as long as you have a target wall and floor to contain the fire you'll be fine.

With a steel boiler since there is no water surrounding the chamber you have a chance of burning through the boiler if the fire hits the steel. With cast iron the water surrounds the chamber so there is no danger of burning through. That's the difference between a wet base and dry base boiler.

In short if you get the wetpack cut off what you need to line the back and then line the floor. When you fire up the boiler the heat will form your firebox.

As for your tube every job is different. There are no set dimensions as far as length goes because there are different size tubes and different boilers where the tubes have to go in different lengths. The best I can tell you is to make sure the tube is back about 1/4" from the lining in the boiler door.

You do not want your tube sticking out in the chamber.

Old 11-07-17, 07:16 PM
B
re fire box

thanks for info fire box size is 12" high 13 1/4" wide 8" deep i see some blankets come with a back plate. if you could look on lynn products and let me no what kit to get very confusing thanks

Old 11-07-17, 09:05 PM
S
What is the model number of your boiler. Not all those numbers. See if there's a tag with model number or series. For ex. the new Dunkirk Steam is Empire II something along those lines or maybe pics.

Dunkirk Boiler Model #FW95M200 . Maybe something like this??

Old 11-08-17, 11:30 AM
B
re fire box

i no this is driving me crazy there are 2 tags very plain to see and clean. it says model no 134s ser no 07840042 the rest is btus i said before i think from that ser no its a 1984?

Old 11-08-17, 02:28 PM
S
b,
Your boiler is a 1984 boiler. With the numbers you provided I called Dunkirk and the good news is they can still put a kit together for that boiler. The possible bad news is they don't deal directly with the public, you must go through a supply house such as Sid Harvey or F.W. Webb, were the 2 that were mentioned that carry their products. The part number is 2272183.

The dimensions Dunkirk provided are 81/4 x 13 x 13. Those are outside dimensions.

Lynn's quickie chambers, although they can be altered are as follows..

Quickie 200
12.25” x 14.25” x 12.00” = W X L X H. This is the closest one but you can check out other options such as wetpack to form your own.
You can cut the chamber to get the 81/4 but the other 2 dimensions are a little shy.
1.35-1.75 = Firing Rate..

Your model no. is 134S. Lynn starts at 137. Boiler too old for OEM chamber from them.

Old 11-10-17, 08:35 AM
B
re fire box

thanks for the come back kind of stupid of me not to call dunkirk.i realy appreciate you doing that i tried to get some of the local jobbers here to order it but no good so far i am going to see if the guy who services it can get it thanks again ill be back//////

Old 12-11-17, 02:23 PM
B
re brick

i would like to thank everyone for all the help.and to spott big time//// i got the box through central pluming in .brooklyn.real nice people nobody local we help.just to recheck i marked the tube with white out befor i took it out.once i put it in i dont want the tube in to the box is that right?looking through the inspection door how much tube should i see? i had said before mabey it was never set right? thanks

Old 12-11-17, 03:49 PM
S
b,
You don't want any tube sticking out beyond chamber. Even with the chamber or about 1/4" back.

The important thing is nothing sticking out. Too far back the oil spray will hit the chamber and form carbon which you don't want.

Old 12-11-17, 04:17 PM
B
re fire box

thanks i am going to do this tomorrow morning i will let you no thanks again

Old 01-18-18, 02:11 PM
B
re fire brick

ok back again didnt get chamber in weather got to cold and was working i didnt want to fool with it.another? how much should the pres gauge read. i put a new one in i dont see it move. but heat upstairs is good.also i never hear the the radiator valves releasing? any thing i should look at? thanks

Old 01-18-18, 03:45 PM
S
b,
Whatever you have your pressuretrol set. No more than 2lbs. pressure.

Set your cut-in @.5 and your differential wheel(white wheel inside) @ 1.5

TOTAL = 2PSI.

If your stat gets satisfied you may not see it move much at all.

Old 11-27-18, 06:18 PM
B
blast tube and tip

back again hi too all. service man serviced system said blast tube and and end cap is cracked . heres the prob this is 1984 unit i dont no about the oil gun ass.? name plate says quite automatic mp 2835 mp 1477 .85 to 1.35 cant get parts anymore he says.are there universal tube available? next? i see lots of used but newer Becket burner ass . on ebay cant i change the whole thing? as long as i have the same .85 to 1.35 set up? they seem reasonable 200$ to 400$ thanks for any help

Old 11-27-18, 06:45 PM
S
The simple answer is yes, you can just get an updated burner. You can get different brackets for installation and different length assembly tubes also. You must also get the right head that goes on the end of the tube for the firing rate you want.

Pics of boiler would help if you need more info.