How to remove old fittings from boiler

Old 10-22-17, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove old fittings from boiler

Hi,
I like to remove old 2 1/4" copper Threaded fitting to boiler. Not able to remove it. I tried with 36" Inch large wrench, poured some WD-40 and still not able to remove it.

Also, what is best way for me to connect threaded 2 1/4" pipe to 1 1/2" Sweat pipe ?. What are fitting I can use ?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
PB Blaster is much better than WD 40. Put a 2" diameter pipe at least 2 feet long on the end of the pipe wrench.

Old 10-22-17, 11:26 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Years ago in my office in 50 year old New York high rise building watched a plumber removing a steam radiator pipe fitting

Plumber just sat on the floor and with a small hammer just kept patiently tapping away on the wrench handle. After xx minutes it just loosened up.

Apparently rust in the joint just breaks loose after enough taps. It was not a matter of strong arm stuff.

Old 10-23-17, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Donato_ View Post
PB Blaster is much better than WD 40. Put a 2" diameter pipe at least 2 feet long on the end of the pipe wrench.
Is there any type of fitting I can use without removing this fitting to connect this boiler ? I have return pipe coming in with diameter of 1 1/2". What copper fitting can fit inside this pipe ?

It will be better if I do not even try to open this fitting and solder it to my return pipe.

Old 10-23-17, 07:44 AM
As you said in your first post, you can sweat something to it. However, do I see a crack inside the fitting, in the pic?

Old 10-23-17, 08:30 AM
Denato,
Sweating something into it will make my life much easier. What size fitting I can use to sweat inside ? Outer diameter is 2.29 Inc and inner diameter is 2" inch. I used caliper to measure inside and outer diameter.

I am trying to determine all fittings required to complete connection to 1 1/2" pipe.

Old 10-23-17, 08:52 AM
Take your pic & measurements to a local plumbing supply & they will give you everything that's needed. Sometimes you can find a knowledgeable person in Home Depot.

Old 10-23-17, 12:02 PM
Copper pipe sizes are:

2 inch pipe has 2 1/8 inch O.D.

2 1/2 inch pipe has 2 5/8 inch O.D

There is no 2 1/4 inch copper pipe.

To me it looks like you have one of these in your picture threaded into the tank:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Threaded-...-/112304806310

Ė so the I.D. of that fitting in your picture should be 2 1/8 inches, because a 2 inch pipe would go into that fitting and as stated above a 2 inch pipe would have a 2 1/8 inch O.D.

The inside of that fitting in your picture looks like it has a lot of buildup and maybe thatís why you are measuring 2 inches I.D. instead of 2 1/8 inches.

Or is what is sticking out in the picture the end of a pipe that is soldered into the fitting and has been cut off? That would explain why you are measuring 2 inches I.D. since the I.D of a 2 inch pipe is roughly 2 inches.

Either way Iím with doughess. I would use a hammer and wrench to get that fitting out. Iíve used a hammer and a wood block smacking each side of the hex counterclockwise and that has worked. To me it looks like whatever is inside that fitting could not be cleaned out well enough to solder. You have to get the cup really clean and shiny to solder in new pipe.

Could be wrong, I canít make a lot out of the picture.

Old 10-23-17, 05:31 PM
You could try heating just the nut with a torch. That will expand the diameter of the nut, including the threaded female hole. Then try to loosen.

Old 10-23-17, 07:02 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
What it sounds like you have is a 2"C X Male adaptor. If your fitting is in good condition and you feel you can solder to it instead of removing it you will need a small piece of 2" copper pipe and then you can use a 2 X 11/2" C Reducing coupling and then solder your 11/2" copper pipe to that.

If you feel you have to remove that fitting you can use a 11/2 X 2" C X Male adaptor. When ordering fittings that are sweat and threaded you always specify the sweat side first and then the threaded.

You can check out this sight for options. When there click on copper fittings for options.

SupplyHouse.com - Plumbing, Heating & HVAC Supplies

1-1/2" x 2" Copper x Male Adapter
SKU: 30370
Brand: Elkhart

27.95 each

2" x 1-1/2" Copper Coupling
SKU: 30784
Brand: Elkhart

$8.65 each

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-24-17, 09:08 AM
Does that look like a reducing bushing right up against the tank wall? Iím wondering if mammon isnít putting his wrench on the hex flats on the reducing bushing (if itís really there) instead of the hex flats on the copper adapter. I can see how after years a bushing threaded into the tank might be a bear to remove Ė but I donít see how a copper fitting would not spin out using a big wrench.

If that is a reducing bushing I donít think you would want or need to remove that bushing Ė but I may be seeing things in that picture that arenít there.

Old 10-24-17, 04:12 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Z, it does look like 2 fittings are there because there are 2 different nuts,

One looks like a 2 x 1-1/2 brass bushing and the other is a 1-1/2 C X M adaptor.

You would think something would turn especially with that large a wrench.

Old 11-02-17, 05:05 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you had a wrench on the fitting it is probably distorted and needs to be changed. This will help all watching. First, try to tighten the fitting since the strain on the threads were in that direction. If you can get the fitting to move even slightly then turn the wrench around and remove the fitting. If that does not work you can cut out the copper fitting, but be careful not to damage the threads you want to re-use. If you are not sure you can do this any good plumber should be able to cut it out. Ask when you call so they don't make a wasted trip to your place. I have done this a thousand times.