GuardDog RB-24 on a IBR JVT-100C (red light and is only one month old)

Old 10-31-17, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry GuardDog RB-24 on a IBR JVT-100C (red light and is only one month old)

So I made the mistake of leaving my home for a month to get hit with $300 in certification and inspection fees...then 6 months later after much various work done I finished with $1,600 worth of boiler work done. ( I was taken to the bank..) Welp..one inspector said the cut off wasn't needed..then another said it was...so I felt pressured to get it done. One month later..(now) it has the infamous red light. I read that it can be blocked, dirty, Teflon tape interfering..blah blah blah. My question: If I truly don't need this, can I safely bypass..and it so, how? (I even have a NEST thermostat that was working properly until last night)

- I've read that the two yellows can be reconnected..but would that open the LWCO valve? Is the LWCO valve currently closed to prevent flow? It appears that the two large reds here would need to be reconnected to get power..but would the two yellows need to be connected to each other as well to open the valve? And lastly...what about the white and red..if I bypass??

Attached Images    

Last edited by NateG; 10-31-17 at 05:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Once you connect the reds back the boiler should work..

Or I sometimes pull the connector at the guard dog and stick a paper clip in the molex connector to jump the two yellows to test the boiler operation..

If you want the guard dog to work either pull it and inspect or replace...

The other wires to guard dog are just for power 24v

Old 10-31-17, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
much appreciate the response, Mike.

Old 10-31-17, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rb-24

No Teflon tape. The brass shank is the ground for the LWCO so if it is not making good contact with the tee it is installed in you may get the red light. Also the LWCO is not a valve but a safety device so it has nothing to do with flow except that it will not let your boiler operate if it detects a low water condition. Are you sure there isn't an actual low water condition?