Old 11-03-17, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Williamson Boiler not getting power to Boiler Control

Hi,
I have below model of Steam boiler:

Brand: Williamson
Model: GSA - GSA-125-SP 125000 BTU
INPUT BTU: 12500

I am having power at switch which is connected to R8285D-1000 (Honeywell Boiler Control Center. See image. But not getting 24V at R and W. What should
be the issue ? Do you think R8285D-1000 is fried and I need to replace it ?. What do I need to test it before I can look into replacing it ?

If I replace exact same wire with new control, will it be OK ?

Anyone can point me out exact part R8285D-1000 on web where I can buy or compatible ? Will compatible part have exact same wiring ?

Thanks in Advance.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 11:38 AM
Additional information:
From my local HVAC store, I got Honeywell R8285D 5001. Will it work as replacement of my R8285D 1000 ?. I asked guy at store but he said it is used for some many different model. Google it. Did not give definite answer. Main concern what I have is, both has RELAY section. With my current control relay section is not used and relay is not connected. I am assuming I will not need to do the same for new control either. Will it work without RELAY is connect ? Why does this control has RELAY if it is not used ?

Old 11-03-17, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Looks like you posted a pic of a 24 volt transformer. This is needed to open gas valve and sometimes used for a few zone valves..

You need to test for 24volt with the power on before you do anything...

A control with relay is usually for the circulator pump.. Possibly you have a separate taco circ control and the boiler one is not utilized...

Old 11-03-17, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Looks like you posted a pic of a 24 volt transformer. This is needed to open gas valve and sometimes used for a few zone valves..

You need to test for 24volt with the power on before you do anything...

A control with relay is usually for the circulator pump.. Possibly you have a separate taco circ control and the boiler one is not utilized...
"A control with relay is usually for the circulator pump.. Possibly you have a separate taco circ control and the boiler one is not utilized..."

I am familiar with regular transformer with only R and C terminal but this one has R C W Y G terminal. Not sure what is W Y and G for. G for ground. How about W and Y ?

This is steam boiler so I do not have circulator pump.

how do I test Transformer ? I should get 24V if I touch RED and BLACK Multi meter probe on R and C on Transformer while 120V is connected on HIGH side ?

Old 11-03-17, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Yes C and R

Y G W go to T stat terminal strip probably...

Old 11-03-17, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Old 11-03-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 415 Votes on 388 Posts
Nice diagram Mike.

Old 11-03-17, 07:07 PM
I replaced new control and it is making noise upon powering up. What could be the issue ?. It has Relay along with Transformer. Seems noise is coming from Relay. My previous control had slot for relay but it did not have relay. Should I remove it and try ?. Any idea ? I have boiler guy coming in Sunday but I am hoping I can start before due to cold.

From what I have been reading Steam boiler has simplest wiring connected to transformer serially.