New Burnham Series 3 Boiler

Old 11-10-17, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New Burnham Series 3 Boiler

Son came home from work last night to find his new boiler installed, "it has really nifty brass pipes".

Couple weeks ago he went to start the old one up and even though the pilot was lit the burner wouldn't fire up. With his maintenance agreement the gas company came out and got it going. However, when they lifted the asbestos up a little they could find CO leaking and said he needed a new boiler so here we are. He does have a detector down there, never went off.

Old vs New:

Name:  Boiler 1s.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3706s.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3709s.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  65.9 KB

I know nothing about these things but it looks good to me. Contractor will be back this morning to install an air intake pipe to outside.

Couple questions:

1) anything I should tell him NOT to do? He tends to try and fix things he knows nothing about.
2) they told him this one will use much less gas than the old one, true?
3) what are those copper fittings, sure doesn't look like solder to me?
4) don't know what he paid but a decent boiler?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-17, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) No.
2) It will probably be more efficient.
3)There appears to be some sweated fittings & some threaded fittings.
4) At least $5,000.

Old 11-10-17, 07:23 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Looks like press. Seen but never used ,no need now.https://www.milwaukeetool.com/press-tool-system

Old 11-10-17, 07:35 AM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Press fitting,work great ,the only thing I didn't like was the copper tubing coming from the black iron to the boiler,should have been piped black iron all the way,but that's just my opinion.
Geo

Old 11-10-17, 12:01 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
I recently had a new indirect DHW installed and they used press fittings for all the connections except to the Flo-chek that required soldering. Since I had not seen the press fittings before I asked the installer about them. He showed me how they work with an O-ring gasket inside and then compressed. He said they only use those now and very seldom use solder connections. Even the ball valves installed were compression type.

Back to the subject: Is this a gravity HW system? I don't see any pumps. Also can't tell if piped primary/secondary with closely spaced tees. (Don't think so given all the piping I see.) Also don't see a bypass. If a gravity system I would expect it to have cast iron radiators, but some of the pipe sizes look smaller and may serve copper baseboard.

If the OP (or his son) like to tinker, I was going to provide a link to my old posts about my experience fine tuning my Burnham Series 3 boiler three years ago (in a mixed copper/CI system) but the differences in the piping and radiation may offset any value in that information.

Old 11-10-17, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The OP's son likes to tinker. The OP wants to stop him.

Old 11-12-17, 07:27 AM
Is this a gravity HW system? I don't see any pumps.
He says it is gravity and the house is all radiators. News to me is the upstairs bedrooms have always been cool, the radiator in his daughter's room was only warm in the bottom half.

He had someone out last year to see if they could fix this. Guy says there should have been more water so he must have a lot of air in the system. Son says if anything it was worse after that.

Now with the new boiler all the radiators are completely hot and they are happy as clams.

I asked if he had any pumps and he said no but he thinks this boiler has one inside because the radiators work so well now. Out of curiosity I'm gonna download his manual and see what it says.

Also asked him why he needs an air intake to outside with a 100 year old house, two stories with full basement. Contractor said it's crazy but that is code.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-12-17, 08:53 AM
After some reading this morning it sounds like with gravity boiler you want large pipes so you have a good flow to and from. Never paid attention to this picture, those black pipes look huge, 3 or 4 inch?

Name:  IMG_3708s.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  70.9 KB

Whoever did this must have done it before, arrive at 8 with heat and out the door by 7.

I did look at the Milwaukee video on press fittings, impressive. I'm sure they are much faster and less labor but being old as dirt I still like a good solder job.

Old 11-12-17, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Looks nice it's just a shame they did not follow the installation manual. There is a circulator on this job site, can be seen on the return. You can also see the MC wire going to it.

Old 11-12-17, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
That's the circulator pump right there.

Name:  IMG_3709s.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  23.6 KB