zone valve problem

Old 11-10-17, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zone valve problem

My heating system has 3 Taco zone valves. I have replaced a malfunctioning power head on one of these in the past and it corrected the problem. Another one of the valves is now not working. I purchased a new powerhead but I am unable to remove the old one. It does not look badly corroded, it could be I guess. Does anyone have any tips for safe removal short of cutting off the entire valve and soldering in a new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-17, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can try tapping the valve body & head lightly with a hammer or screwdirver handle to maybe loosen some corrosion. If you get the head off & see corrosion, you should replace the whole valve.

Old 11-10-17, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the head moving at all when you try to twist it off (clockwise)? If so, keep in mind that, if you twist the head too hard the pins on the head can get hung up on the edges of the slots in the mounting plate.

If the head isn't budging at all, then you might try a few squirts of penetrating oil on the pins/slots.

Old 11-10-17, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Taco has this to say, as well:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Never remove Power Head when thermostat is calling for heat. If necessary to remove Power Head, disconnect Number 1 wire from Power Head, wait two minutes, then proceed.

https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-se...ODUCT_ID=39875