Quick disconnect for Beckett burner unit?

Old 11-17-17, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick disconnect for Beckett burner unit?

At a rental property I own, a boiler was put into service. It has a quick disconnect plug on the wires from the electric gang box to the Beckett burner unit. This is so the boiler door swings open easily for cleaning and no wires are in the way. My house has a 17 year old boiler, Peerless. When it gets cleaned, the electric wires from the metal gang box to the burner unit have to be disconnected for access. It is a pain. Is there something off the shelf and over the counter that I can get that I can install with a quick disconnect? I could run two wires, and that is all I see in the metal flexible cable from the unit to the electrical gang to powering the boiler, and add a Molex disconnect but is the metal flexible cable necessary for grounding purposes? What I want to accomplish is to be able to swing open the boiler door after I shut off the valve on the oil line, and not have an electric line in the way or stopping the door from swinging open. Then I could clean the boiler easily, and vacuum it out. Now it is a pain to have to pop off the metal cover to the gang box and remove the wire caps to get the line out so I can swing the boiler door open. There has to be something that I can use in place of the hard wired line. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 12:27 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Just use a longer length of BX cable. It also helps to use a flexible fuel hose to the burner. Then the burner can just be pulled out to service or clean boiler.

Most modern burner electronic controllers use 3 wires to keep LCD display alive at all times to show status and history. Wires are black hot, white neutral/ground and and red for limit/start. Here is a Beckett link on advantages of modern controllers. Honeywell and Carlins have LCD displays. https://www.beckettcorp.com/support/...mary-controls/