Weil Mcclain CG gas boiler knocking noises when fired up

Old 12-03-17, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, directions say "No flushing is needed. Close off all valving between boiler and zoning circuits."

I have 5 Honeywell zone control valves and shutoff valves on the micro zones (see pic below). I prefer not to mess with the turn shutoff valves in case one starts to leak after opening so since the zone control valves will be closed with the system shut down when adding this cleaner can I avoid closing those turn shutoff valves to make adding it less of a concern?

I also drained some water from the bottom of the boiler and it was clear. No sign of anything from what I could tell.

Name:  IMG_20171122_144001356.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  90.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 09:19 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Your ZV's will act as shutoffs as long as your stats are down. You will have to shut off your returns and your feed valve.

I think what I would do is lift up the relief valve and drain from there so you're not taking out more than you need to. You shouldn't get much out since you've isolated the system.

Once the water stops from the relief valve remove it from the system and put your cleaner in there. Reinstall the relief valve and pressurize the system. Open your returns and put on line.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-03-17, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
This is an ongoing issue... There is a port right there at the air vent................

Old 12-04-17, 06:12 PM
Ok added Hercules boiler cleaning solution. I initially removed some system water from the bottom boiler drain valve and water was whiteish but then turned clear. No sediment or dirt I could see. When adding the cleaning solution down my port hole it started backing up after a little so I had to release the pressure relief valve which resulted in additional system water coming out but allowed more of the cleaner down the port hole. I had to do this several times to get the solution to go down the port hole. I had the air vent cap off but not sure that helped.

The first time I added the Hydrosolv solution last year (before adding the additional port hole location in) I just took off the pressure relief valve and used that port hole for the solution which went down into the system a lot easier. Not sure what the difference was?

So after getting the bottle of solution down the port hole, I closed the port hole and then repressurized the system via water autofill valve, opened return valves and ran boiler for about an hour. I will drain some water out of boiler next week and monitor how things go. Based upon what happens can decide whether to leave as or proceed to drain system and refill with a second quart of cleaning solution which would then be left in.

Any perspectives would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance yet again,
deeMatrix

Old 12-04-17, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Dont drain system anymore...

Leave stuff in there...

Since you didn't get no dirt out of boiler drain dont do no more for a week...

Let us know post back if sound still there...

Bid you lower the auastat so the temp soaks at 180 f?

Old 12-04-17, 07:32 PM
Thanks Mike so I won't drain anymore at this point but should in a week? And yes I lowered aquastat so heat soaks to around 180F.

Old 12-04-17, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Dont drain anymore.....No...