American Standard natural gas water boiler

Old 11-20-17, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard natural gas water boiler

Our American Standard broiler furnace has been acting up last few days. The furnace was installed about 6 years ago and the model number is AGBWF090A93AVAA. The lockout light has been coming on from time to time. When the light is on, the furnace did not start but would reset itself one or two times and then the furnace started. Once the furnace started, it would function as normal. This does not happen all the time when the furnace fires up but only from time to time.

To determine what is causing the problem, I am prepared to replace the Igniter and the Flame Sensor to see if that would fix the problem. However, I have not been having much luck in finding the compatible replacement parts. Also I don't have the part numbers for the Igniter and the sensor. Googling American Standard with our model did not come up with any information. I am hoping someone here could offer some suggestions on the cause of our furnace problem or provide direction for us to find the compatible parts.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 08:57 AM
Same Issue

I'm having the exact same issue. The issue started last year and is continuing this year as well. I had a repairman out and he couldn't find the parts he thought he needed to fix it. I believe he was looking for the flame sensor but wasn't sure that was the problem. The heater is branded as American Standard but the actual model was made by a European company that American Standard bought or something. The production run was small and that seems to be the issue with getting parts.

Have you found parts of the boiler? Did you get the unit fixed? I would love to know anything that you have figured out or where you have found parts.

I will report back if I figure out what's wrong or someone else does.

Thanks!!

Old 01-04-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The model number in the first post is not correct or is not a model used in the U.S. The description of a natural gas water broiler doesn't help much. I've tried to figure out what exactly we are looking at.

If you need help.... post a correct model number.

The member in the first post is located in Canada.

Old 01-06-18, 01:33 PM
Found the Manual!

Hello,

Thanks PJMax for trying to help out! The model listed is correct but it seems to have some extra letters at the beginning and end and that seems to be where the confusion lies (It was made in Italy so that is probably it). According to the manual, the model # is GBWF090. You have to cross reference the sticker on the boiler with the manual to figure it out. The "new" number is embedded in the "old" number in the middle of other letters. allenw has the correct "original" model number but apparently not to find parts. After Googling the "new" model number I do see parts. With the manual, I also found a complete parts list with numbers so we can go off of this. I'm an attaching a pic of the parts list. Let me know if you need a copy of the manual or parts list and I can email to you or something. Maybe post on here or something.

I'm still trying to figure out what is up with my boiler. The pressure was super low so I bleed the secondary zone and quite a bit of air came out so I'm hoping that fixes the pressure issue. My water temp was too low so I raised that up as the boiler was working too hard and not keeping up. I found a loose nut on a value and hoping that might help too. I got a new thermostat with swing control to stop the short cycles and hopefully stop the wear on this thing. Not sure why the repairman didn't mention any of these items when he was out last year. I'm not saying these fixes will fix my problem but I'm cleaning up what I can before I hire another (different) repair guy. This time I will have a parts list if he wants to try some new parts.

I will report back when I figure out exactly what is wrong.

Parts list

Old 01-06-18, 05:44 PM
I got all excited cause I see a post about American Standard gas hydronic boiler. I got one that's 60 years old in great shape and rarely see it come up in posts. Turns out it's some italian ripoff of the American Standard brand. lol.

Old 01-06-18, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
It looks just like........ a standard boiler. I'm looking at the installation manual.
GBWF_IGAT.pdf

The flame detector is nothing more than a stainless steel metal rod. They just require cleaning with a Scothbrite pad or steel wool to remove the glass oxide deposits from the natural gas. The rod only gets replaced when physically damaged. The rod needs to be totally engulfed in the flame.

A technician that works on these systems should connect a test meter set to ua (microamps) in series with the flame rod to monitor the current flow. It should be at least 2 ua. for positive ignition.

The next step is to check the burners for rust or anything clogging the little ports..... especially any carryover ports or ports near the igniter. The incoming gas pressure as well as the manifold pressure should be checked.

Low system pressure is usually caused by a defective or sticking water fill valve. Most of those valves are preset to 12psi. That water pressure combined with the pressure tank work together to maintain an operating pressure during heating. Usually around 20psi depending on if there is a second floor that the boiler serves.

Old 01-07-18, 04:19 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The flame sensor for this boiler is called a "flame rod". Make sure that the flame size is correct and that it envelopes the flame rod and the grounding rod. The flame must envelope both rods with more flame on the grounding rod and less on the flame rod. Make sure that the pilot is clean and that the flame is stable and not wavering, not too sharp, too small, and that the flame is not too yellow and lazy. Drafts and air movement will affect the stability of the flame.

Old 01-07-18, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
@steamboy...... I don't see a pilot in the manual I posted.
It uses direct spark ignition to light the burner.

Old 01-08-18, 05:01 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
To Pjmax; when I clicked on the link to the installation manual that you provided page 29, fig. 27 and29 show a pilot assembly and page 7 shows a pilot orfice of [email protected] .40mm and page 43 of the wiring schematic shows an IP-igniter probe and an FD flame detector. Let me also say that I have never seen or worked on one of these units. I was just referencing the installation manual provided. So ,if there is no pilot assembly then it is my mistake. also, page 6 figure 1 shows a pilot assembly (see the gas pilot line)

Last edited by Steamboy; 01-08-18 at 05:05 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-08-18, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmmmm.....I see that. When I look at the schematic.... it shows two valves tied in parallel. I looked the gas valve up last week and it showed a redundant valve but no mention of a pilot valve. I see several discrepancies in the manual.