New T-Stat - old one labeled with numbers not letters

Old 11-21-17, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New T-Stat - old one labeled with numbers not letters

HVAC guys at work gave me a programmable t-stat that I wanted to replace my old mercury one with. Place is a rental so I'm unfamiliar with the old wiring but my old t-stat terminals are labeled with numbers, not letters. 4 - red wire, 5 - white wire, & 6 - green wire.

Any suggestions on how I should wire the new one up? I've attached pictures of the old, the taco zone valve, and the new t-stat terminals.

​​​​​​​Thanks

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-17, 08:47 PM
Posted in the wrong forum, mods can you move to correct.

Old 11-21-17, 11:20 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
4=open=W1
5=common=Rh
6=close=A

Old 11-22-17, 01:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Thread moved to boiler forum.

As a tenant you should not be doing your own electrical work.

The wiring as it stands will not support your new thermostat as it requires a C connection. The green wire at the the thermostat is not the green wire on the #3 terminal on the zone valve. The white wire from the stat needs to end up on terminal #1 of the zone valve.

Need a picture to better see the wiring at the zone valve and another picture of the wiring at the transformer that runs the zone valves.

Old 11-22-17, 05:04 PM
As a tenant you should not be doing your own electrical work. I'm a MA licensed contractor, I've spoken to my landlord and she has no issues with me providing any upgrades if I want

The wiring as it stands will not support your new thermostat as it requires a C connection. The green wire at the the thermostat is not the green wire on the #3 terminal on the zone valve. The white wire from the stat needs to end up on terminal #1 of the zone valve.

The thermostat is a LUX TX9100U battery operated. There is a C suffix on the model requiring the C wire. https://shop.luxproducts.com/product...nt=44638201557

Need a picture to better see the wiring at the zone valve and another picture of the wiring at the transformer that runs the zone valves.

I've added pictures of the zone valve (there's a bunch that feed the 4 units in the building. I also added the terminals at the boiler. That brownish wire labeled A at the boiler terminal is white, it's just FILTHY

Name:  D1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  D2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  75.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-22-17 at 10:56 PM. Reason: labeled picture with cable info
Old 11-22-17, 09:54 PM
new monkey wrench (damn you amazon) the actual thermostat is model # TX500Uc, however it its a TX9100U package (I did buy it through Amazon warehouse deals, so it was in an open package)....unbelievable

Old 11-22-17, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
I went by the sub base you posted. It has a C on it. Usually if there is a C terminal.... it is required.

If the stat doesn't require a C connection then you just connect the red and white wires to Rc-R and W1. Either wire to either terminal.
If you need the C connection.... let me know and I'll tell you what to change.

Old 11-22-17, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
In case you need a C connection. Look at the labels I added to your picture. Here's what you'd need to do.

1) strip the thermostat cable so you can get to the green wire.
2) swap the red and white wires in the thermostat cable. You will now have a white wire on #1. You will have a red and white wire in the orange wirenut.
3) attach the green wire from the thermostat cable to terminal #2.

At the thermostat...
Red - R/Rc
White - W1
Green - C