How to close old style water shut off valve on Boiler


Old 12-06-17, 09:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to close old style water shut off valve on Boiler

I am trying to replace the circulating pump on my hot water boiler system. I have everything I need, but have an old style shut off valve that I am not sure how to close. It looks like a nut and bolt. I see someone drew a line on it indicting what is open/ closed, but I cannot get it to move. I have even removed the nut but this did not loosen the bolt (bolt looking) piece of the valve.

I have tried everything but it won't budge even an inch. I added a picture below. Any advice on how you close this valve would be extremely helpfiu.l
Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 10:08 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Put the nut back on and only loosen it one turn from tight. Hit the end of the threaded portion smartly with a hammer and that should loosen the tapered plug. It WILL leak all over the floor until you tighten the nut again. One the plug is loose you should be able to turn it easily and then snug up the nut to stop the leaking. Use the same technique when opening the valve.
Old 12-06-17, 10:11 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 3,025
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
if you are trying to turn that valve from the side with the nut and bolt side that is the wrong side of the valve to shut it off.

If your middle pic is the correct orientation it looks like the valve was installed up side down. The side with the square nut is the side that moves. You will need a pipe wrench, maybe 18 or 24" if it's frozen.

There should be some kind of stop on the valve so the nut only turns 1 way unless the stop is broken off.

That piece you call a bolt is part of the nut so if you loosen that nut on the bolt side and turn the nut on the other side it might make it easier for you.

If you get it to move that is what they call a 1/4 turn valve so you don't a full circle like a wheel valve. They are like the more modern ball valve.

If you have a tough time getting it to move put your wrench on the nut and hit it with a 3lb sledge to loosen. Sometime that helps to start it.

Hope this helps a little.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: