Riello 40 F5 Noisy - Pump or Motor

Old 12-10-17, 09:18 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riello 40 F5 Noisy - Pump or Motor

So a bit of a challenge. When the boiler starts up, there's a higher than usual pitched noise that is now heard. I can't figure out if it's the motor or the pump. This noise is more prevalent at cold start after the boiler's been sitting idle for a while, between cycles. Once it runs for a minute, the noise goes away but does come back when the unit restarts within the same heating cycle, whether it's DHW or thermostat calling for heat.

So a few questions:
1. How do I troubleshoot this? I placed a screwdriver on the body of the pump and the motor to see if once's louder than the other and both sound about the same. The noise start immediately upon start. Am I correct in assuming only the motor run the first 3-4 seconds of a cycle before the pump kicks in and the burner lights up? Am I way off?

2. I did replace the oil filter thinking it's a supply issue and also pulled the oil pump screen which was spotless.

3. If it is the pump, replacing it will need to be a service call as I don't have the tools nor experience to set the correct pressure if I do put a new pump in.

4. Replacing the motor seems to be a simpler procedure and can be a DIY.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-17, 07:17 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you get a good flow from your fuel line? High suction load caused my pomp to whine. Turned out there was fuel fungus, fungicide and str-2 took care of it. I now use str-2 with every oil fill.
Sid

Old 12-11-17, 12:46 PM
S
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
G,
It's difficult to tell with a noise without being there but I will say this.

Riello isn't as forgiving as other burners and must be set up with instruments for proper operation.

They all should be set up with instruments but with Riello it is imperative, especially the pump. The pump runs at significantly higher pressure and if not set right will cause massive sooting for one thing.

The motor is easier but you are right not to fool with the pump without the right tools and experience.

As far as the motor goes it operates whenever the burner comes on for the whole cycle because there is a coupling connected from the motor to the pump which is how the oil is delivered.

If you feel brave you can remove the motor and try running it without a load to see how it reacts. If you still get the sound you'll know it's the motor and not the pump.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-12-17, 07:16 AM
G
Noisy Riello

So the sound/duration is getting worse.
How do I run just the motor for testing purposes? I saw that it's Jumpers 5 and 6 - I connected them but nothing is happening. I guess I need to have a call for heat to see if the fuel flow is good?

Old 12-12-17, 10:09 AM
S
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Go to youtube and Riello 40-F-5 training video. It's about 25 minutes long. You may find it interesting.

RIELLO F40 Series Oil Burner Training Video - YouTube

Old 12-12-17, 01:50 PM
G
Watched a ton of them last 2 days
So i didn't realize i had to have call for heat to start the motor. Ran the motor on its own and it's making the noise so not the pump/supply issue.

PatriotSupply is actually in my town oddly enough but they're out of stock. How long can i typically wait till it seizes up? Can it go 3-4 more days till they're back in stock?

THanks.

Old 12-12-17, 03:55 PM
S
Hang on to the old motor probably all it needs are the bearings. They cost less than $10. each and not too difficult to replace, by you or someone familiar with doing it. You will have lots of time research that. I don't know how long yours lasted, but mine is running for12-14 yrs.
Sid

Old 12-13-17, 02:29 PM
G
Yea, was planning on keeping the old one and refurbish it for a future date
System is around 11-14 yrs old and was here when i moved it but it was a fairly recent install at the time.

So you said yours has been running for 14 yrs total or 14yrs with bearings sqeualing?

Old 12-13-17, 03:05 PM
S
Happily, without bearings squealing.
Sid

Old 12-14-17, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It will probably last the few days until you can get a new motor.

Old 12-30-17, 02:48 PM
R
GeneBerg, how did you make out? I have the same equipment, with the same symptoms. Oddly enough, I also live in Long Island.

I too had narrowed it down to a supply issue (maybe due to the extreme cold this week) or failing bearing in the motor. I was planning on ordering a spare motor, but was curious what your resolution was.

Old 01-01-18, 08:11 AM
S
I basely have the same Burner, at one time I had a fungus problem, causing a high suction , and a noisy motor. I put in a fungicide and it cleared up the problem and I also blew out [back] the suction line. I use the fuel treatment "STR-2" as it will cut through the slime that will coat the filter . I had to change the filter a couple of times. But it worked, and my system is working fine, and is still working.
Sid

Old 01-01-18, 08:04 PM
R
Thanks for the info, Sid. I will check that out and update with a result.

Old 01-02-18, 10:19 AM
G
noise

Hi everyone, sorry - got carried away.

I did buy a new motor but hesitant to replace it since it's so cold out and if I screw it up, the house temp will drop quickly so I'm waiting for a warmer day where we can tolerate extended off periods.

The noise is still there though not nearly as evident now. As noted before, i did bridge pins 5 and 6 with only the motor running and the noise was there so i'm assuming it's not the pump and the pump screen was crystal clear when I inspected it. I replaced the oil filter in the canister too earlier so it's all up for grabs now

No spike in oil usage or other anomalies so I'm just waiting for a warmer day to get into it.

Last edited by GeneBerg; 01-02-18 at 10:21 AM. Reason: details
Old 01-06-18, 08:13 AM
R
Quick update. After posting here, I plugged in my oil tank heater. This was installed by the previous owner, and I had never used it before. After leaving it plugged in for a day, the noise lessened and eventually stopped. I've left it plugged in, and the noise has been gone all week.

I'm guessing the motor was straining to pump the thicker oil caused by the extreme low temps here lately.

Old 01-11-18, 09:17 AM
G
The oil line on my outdoor tank froze in 8 degree temps and took me a few hours to unfreeze it. I insulated the line and enclosed an electric water pipe warmer for future use.

Boiler is now firing without issues but noise is definitely there again, seems to be related to how cold the oil is at the intake. Again, will hang tight until temps warm to replace the motor.

Old 01-11-18, 01:52 PM
S
Glad you got it figured out.
Sid

Old 01-11-18, 10:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you think the noise is caused by the oil getting thick, add a couple of bottles of fuel oil treatment made for improving cold weather flow.

Old 01-24-18, 09:23 AM
G
I added a 1/2 gal of oil de-icer/anti gel but it hasn't been this cold since so no issues yet.
So far, so good with noise, seems to be lessened since temps warmed up.

I am a bit bummed though - i definitely did hear the noise when shorting pins 5 and 6 on the burner control board, which i THOUGHT would only run the motor and not the pump? When i did look at the pump screen, there were just a few tiny particles on it and not a blockage issue.

So still a bit confused, guess replacing the motor will definitely point me one way or the other...time will tell.

Old 01-28-18, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pump is directly coupled to the motor & therefore will be driven anytime the motor is running. By jumping between 5&6 you run the motor but the fuel solenoid does not open nor does the pump come up to full pressure or the motor to full speed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: