Need some immediate help with hot water convection system

Old 12-17-17, 06:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some immediate help with hot water convection system

Hi guys. Having an issue. I have plenty of oil, furnace running.
Old convector system.

Some convectors were working some not.

So I bled them all.

I could hear the air come out but no water.

Even the working ones had air but no water.

Now, none work after the bleeding. Even the ones that were hot before are cold.

Circulator is running.

In the basement, both the supply and return lines are warm for only a couple feet, then get cold gradually.

This is for a 2nd floor apartment.

Boosted pressure to 20 and temp to 160 no difference.

Tempted to boost both more.

What are your ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-17, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 247 Posts
You can boost the pressure up to 25psi (lower when done bleeding).
No need to raise the temperature for bleeding.
You need to bleed until you get water.

Old 12-17-17, 06:23 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Pictures, pictures and more pictures. While all hydronic systems are basically the same they ALL have their individual idiosyncrasies. Without pictures none of us can do much more than make a wild a**ed guess. Pictures need to be well lit and in focus to be of any use. Don't need close-ups yet but DO need shots from far enough away or wide angle lens to show the various parts and how they connect to each other.

"Boosted pressure to 20 and temp to 160 no difference."

What was the indicated pressure BEFORE boosting and what was the aquastat setting before raising to 160? Does the boiler (not furnace, a furnace heats air distributed through ducts) also supply domestic hot water? If yes, does it use a "tankless" coil or supply a separate water heater tank?

Old 12-17-17, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhh..... a link to posting more pictures.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-17-17, 06:29 PM
Pressure was 15 before, temp at 150.

I can try pics, but not sure how it'll work out all I have is a cell phone. My apartment was burglarized the other day, no computer anymore. Or anything else for that matter.

There is a domestic hot water coil on the side, but not connected to the water system any longer. I added and rerouted to an electric water heater a few years back. Wish I could remove it but don't know how.

Either way I'll try 25 and see what happens.

Old 12-17-17, 06:58 PM
Actually looking at the gauge again it's altitude that boosted from 15 to 20, and now 25 when I added water. Pressure still says 10.

Old 12-17-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Some of those gauges have a fixed pointer for system max. and a moveable pointer for pressure.

Old 12-17-17, 07:05 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
X,
You mentioned convectors and bleeding each one.

My guess is you have an old monflo system which can be difficult to bleed.

Convectors were usually installed in monoflo or 2 pipe systems.

If you have a monoflo system you cannot bleed from the basement return line. You will only be bleeding the main loop and not the convectors.

If that is the case I suggest doing what PJ suggested and raise that pressure as high as you can under 30psi and keeping the pressure high and the boiler off, bleed 1 convector at a time until water comes out, always maintaining that high pressure until you finish.

Then you can drain a little out until you get to about 18-20psi.

You might find it easier if you had 2 people. One at the boiler to maintain constant high pressure while the other is bleeding the convectors.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-17-17, 07:35 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
My first thought is that your pressure/temperature indicator is shot. Until you know what your real pressure and temperature is you are just shooting blindly. 150, or even 160 degrees F. is rather cool for convectors. By the way, what kind of "convectors" do you have as there are baseboard convectors as well as cabinet convectors.

Old 12-18-17, 05:07 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here is how to adjust the pressure in the system when the pressure gauge does not work or may not be reading correctly. Go to the highest convector in the house. try venting the convector. When the air is vented out or just stops, shut off the vent, go down to the boiler and raise the system pressure slightly. If you are adjusting a PRV valve turn the pressure up 1 to 2 turns which should be down on the adjusting screw . Go back up to the top radiator and continue venting. Continue doing this until you get water, then add 1 more turn to the pressure valve just for good measure. Now you have the correct pressure. (Make sure that the circulating pump is off when venting the convectors). Now go and vent all the convectors in the system. When you get a new pressure gauge then you will know what the fill pressure is supposed to be. Once you get the correct pressure in the system,the system should heat the building unless there are other problems.

Last edited by Steamboy; 12-18-17 at 05:11 AM. Reason: more info