Steam heat - 1 of 4 Zones not heating

Old 01-01-18, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam heat - 1 of 4 Zones not heating

I moved into a new house 6 weeks ago. This house has a gas furnace with steam heat and 4 zones. This morning I woke up and the zone for the 3rd floor was not working. All other zones are working. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. That didn't work. I checked the terminals of the end switch for that zone and it had power. The pipes after that switch are cold to the touch, while the other 3 zones are warm.

Could the end switch be bad?

I am attaching some pictures. Any insight on this would be appreciated it. The 2nd picture shows the end switch for the 3rd floor.

As a side note, it did get down to -3 F last night.

Attached Images    

Last edited by DonDiego; 01-01-18 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added information
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-18, 11:51 AM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Zorro,

First off you have hot water heat, not steam which simply means you have hot water running through your emitters by way of a circulator pump instead of the emitters, usually cast iron radiators heated by steam which is delivered by gravity.

That being said It could be in your zone valve or your relay.

When you call for heat check your zone valve and see if you can move the lever down without any resistance. You can compare it to a working one.

If the lever goes down easy that means your stat is working and is most likely your end switch on the ZV not making to fire the burner and pump.

If the lever has resistance the zone valve isn't getting the signal. You can remove the stat wires from the board for that zone and jump the 2 terminals and see if that works. If it does it's your stat.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-01-18, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Now the living room radiators are not heating up Gah!

The 3rd floor zone does not show any lights on the control board. The other three zones are the kitchen, 2nd floor and the living room, they all lit up on the board. The living room and kitchen are on Nest thermostats and the 2nd and 3rd floor are on regular digital thermostats. The 3rd floor zone lights or not lit up.

The lever goes down easy and all 4 zone valves.

The only zones heating are the kitchen and 2nd floor. Does this mean I have 2 bad ZVs?

Old 01-01-18, 04:03 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
D,
On the 3rd floor zone in your control panel. Did you try removing the 2 stat wires and jump those 2 terminals to see if that works or see what happens.

On the other hand you said all 4 ZV levers show no resistance which is telling me the stats are working and calling for heat.

What you can try is on your 3rd floor zone in the control panel on the 3 wire ZV side. Take #3 wire off and jump 3 & 4 and see if boiler and pump start. If they do you have a bad ZV.

Until you fix the problem you can put the bad ZV's on manual (lever down) and whenever one of the other zones call for heat it will heat that zone also.

You can do that with both zones if it turns out you have 2 bad ZV's.

Hope this helps a little.