Shutting off one zone for winter

Old 01-02-18, 02:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shutting off one zone for winter

I have a room in my house that is unfinished and seems to be sucking up oil very quickly trying to heat that room. I’m wondering if I can shut off the baseboard heat in that room only just for winter and if so, how? It is on its own zone. I figure I’d have to somehow drain the water from those pipes but would like to be able to do it without turning off the heat to the rest of the house because it’s pretty cold here right now and we have parrots that shouldn’t be cold while working on the heat.

Old 01-02-18, 03:02 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
D,
If it's on its own zone do you have shutoff valves on the supply and return lines with a drawoff for bleeding on the return.

If you do you can shut the stat down and shut the supply and return valves off and drain the water from the zone through the drawoff on the return line and that should do it.

Unless there's something you haven't mentioned or you want to post some pics to be sure that should take care of it.

You don't have to shut the boiler down but be careful if the zone has been running. The water will be hot.

You might want to shut the boiler off for the few minutes it takes to drain the zone.

Do you have pumps or zone valves.

Old 01-02-18, 04:18 PM
M
I agree with Spott - we need to know more how the system is piped and locations of valves. When you say the room is unfinished - is it uninsulated?

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 01-02-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 05:10 PM
D
The room is not ver well insulated and has cement crawlspace. Just feeling like I’m throwing money out the window trying to keep the pipes from freezing. I don’t have shutoff on supply and return. Thanks!

Old 01-02-18, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just feeling like I’m throwing money out the window trying to keep the pipes from freezing.
What pipes..... heating pipes or hot and cold supply lines ?

You don't want to cut off heat to supply pipes.

Old 01-02-18, 06:32 PM
D
PJmax I want to cut off heat to a room I’m not using, isn’t very well insulated and has my furnace running nonstop. We took this room apart this year to put cement in the crawlspace. We got as far as pouring the cement, putting down some insulation and putting down subfloor. I don’t see why I need to pay to heat the room just to keep the pipes from freezing? I will turn the heat back on when Spring comes and it’s not below 0. Then I can finish putting the room back together.

Old 01-02-18, 06:48 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
Do you have shutoffs on the other zones.

If you do you can isolate those zones and drain the one you want and once drained add the shutoffs and then you can turn the system back on but again, pics would be good to make sure.

Old 01-02-18, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
For picture posting.......... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-04-18, 05:18 AM
D
Sport thank you for responding!! I’ll get some pics over to you within the next couple of hours. I am hoping to get this done today because I don’t have work due to the storm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: