Losing heat in one zone when the other zone is turned up

Old 01-03-18, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Losing heat in one zone when the other zone is turned up

I own a two story duplex serviced by one boiler with two thermostats and two pumps(one for each floor/suite). This winter Iíve been having some issues with one floor losing heat when the other floorís thermostat is turned up and vice versa. For example, right now with the thermostat on the main floor turned down, the 2nd floor is being heated fine. If I was to turn up the thermostat on the main floor, the upper floor will lose heat to a couple radiators/rooms. All of the gauges read the same as they have in years past, and both pumps seem to be functioning correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to use the gauge on the boiler.
What is the operating pressure ?
What is the temperature with one zone running ? Both zones running ?

Old 01-03-18, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
If you have say a 50kbtu boiler and 100k of heat emmitters, then yes with boyh zones on the boiler may take a cold slug and be hard pressed to heat up back to 180f..

If this is the case the boiler may condensate.

But we would need to know what temp reading on boiler is when this occurs.

You would need some type of P/S piping or a boiler bypass of some sort to rectify the above condition...

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-03-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 02:05 PM
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...9AA1EC165.jpeg

Above picture is with 2nd floor zone running, and main floor thermostat set 1 degree below room temp. For some reason when I initially went to snap pictures, both pumps were almost cold to the touch and I had to go and set the main floor thermostat up a few degrees to kick the boiler on. The boiler temp quickly dropped to 120 and then slowly came back up..My tenant on the second floor tells me all radiators are currently heating. On Saturday it was unusually cold outside so I ran some heat through the main floor radiators, and thatís when he lost heat to the rads in two back bedrooms..
p.s. visually there is no difference to me on the pressure reading when both zones are running

Old 01-03-18, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
. For some reason when I initially went to snap pictures, both pumps were almost cold to the touch and I had to go and set the main floor thermostat up a few degrees to kick the boiler on.
Sounds like a wiring issue. That the first floor zone needs to be on for the second floor to get heat... Meaning the second floor t stat does not fire the boiler...

Not enough info or pics of the system to help really...

Old 01-03-18, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
That would make sense..... first floor stat connected to the aquastat controlling its pump and the boiler. The second floor just to a relay for the pump.

You can post pictures here directly.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-04-18, 04:06 PM
The first floor is currently vacant.. I have the thermostat set below the temp that the room itís located in is holding at.. 20-21 deg Celcius. (until I can figure out whatís going on)The pipes passing through the walls to the top floor tend to keep most of the main floor at temp..I asked my tenant on the top floor whether everything was fine up there since he messaged me Saturday, and he said itís been warm and all the radiators even in the two bedrooms that were,cold feel warm to the touch.. What can I snap pictures of to provide enough info to diagnose the issue?

Old 01-04-18, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Like Mike mentioned.... it's going to come down to wiring problems.

When either thermostat is set to heat..... that zone's pump should start running and the boiler should fire. When a zone is calling for heat.... the boiler should rise to around 180f.

If it's wired like I previously mentioned... it will need to be rewired. In order for us to even begin to be able to help you we'd need to see pictures of any of the controllers. One should be gray and on the boiler. Another may be gray and on the wall.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-04-18 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-18, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Yes basically turn all t stats down/off.. Turn one zone on at a time by cranking t stat up. Make sure pump comes on and boiler fires.. If so move to the next zone...

If ones does not fire you need to find why... But if the pump comes on but boiler dont fire I cant imaging why. If you have a taco zone controller, or individual relays take pics...

Post those results..

Old 01-11-18, 12:13 PM
Hi, my apologies for not replying before now. Temp warmed up for a few days and they were getting het upstairs until this morning.. The temperature plunged again last night. Once again no heat in back rooms and itís cold. I went and felt the pumps on the boiler- main floor pump was hot and pump for second floor where the issue is was cool to the touch..they tell me stat in living room reads 17C. No water in rads in back rooms when he tries to bleed.. apparently thermostat was pinned upstairs.. in the meantime while we were texting, I went and raised the thermostat on the main. Floor two degrees, and the pump for the second floor came on.. boiler fired and I could feel the 2nd floor pump getting warm..(Pictures attached I hope). As I post this both pumps are equally warm/hot and waiting to here back from tenant to see if nothing has changed..

Attached Images      
Old 01-11-18, 12:55 PM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
David,
Whenever pumps are used to zone systems as yours, for every pump there must be a Flocontrol valve installed.

This is installed so you do not send heat to unwanted zones.

It take the pump working to open up the Flocontrol valve to circulate the water through the zone.

If by turning up your stat the other zone gets heat then you have a problem with your F.C. valve.

It is either defective or is in the manual position, unless you have some crossed piping somewhere.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-11-18, 02:30 PM
So problem solved-pretty certain.. Iím kind of disappointed in myself that I didnít put it together sooner.. to make a long story short, the 2nd floor thermostat was connected to the main floor pump, and the main floor thermostat was connected to the second floor pump. I always thought in the past the the main floor was really warm because of the pipes going through the walls to the upstairs.. So all this time the 2nd floor is cranking their thermostat in vain just making the main floor warmer, and the main floor thermostat isnít coming on(because itís warm in the room)so the 2nd floor just gets colder and colder.. I assume it was incorrectly wired that way the last time pumps/controllers were replaced. Thank-you posters for your efforts.

Old 01-11-18, 05:53 PM
I spoke too soon..The temp on second floor is not improving. Still hovering around 16c. The pump is running and is hot to the touch, as are the outgoing and return pipes.. when I bleed the individual radiators I get anywhere from warm to hot water, except for the two back rooms where no water comes out..

Old 01-11-18, 08:06 PM
Things finally seem to be catching up again a little.. except for the two back room rads.. Iíve been doing some reading and I assume that they have frozen and will slowly thaw out and begin functioning again like they did last time this happened.. and it wonít happen again now that the correct thermostats are running the correct pumps?

Old 01-12-18, 09:31 AM
Mods please delete thread..

Old 01-12-18, 11:45 AM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Congrats Dave. Good job. Thanks for the update.