Solenoid Activating erratic in Honeywell Gas Valve

Old 01-04-18, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solenoid Activating erratic in Honeywell Gas Valve

Greetings from Vermont where we are looking at -40 below F. coming up and my Teledyne-Laars MiniThermBoiler JVT 100 with standing pilot is not behaving. No problem with pilot light and boiler firing up on demand , but about 30 seconds into the heat cycle the solenoid begins to click and appears to activate
on every click. The hotter into the cycle, the more it clicks. The hi limit works and shuts down the heat cycle at preset dial temp. I am wondering if the problem is in the 24 volt relay to the gas valve instead of the valve itself and am open to suggestions as how to trouble shoot.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 10:20 AM
With a voltmeter, see if the a.c. voltage is constant of varying at the fuel valve when there is a call for heat. If it is varying, then the problem is ahead of the valve.

Old 01-04-18, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Using a voltmeter..... monitor the voltage at the Th and Tr terminals on the gas valve for 24vac.
Based on that measurement it can be determined when the valve shuts off what is happening.

Name:  jvt2.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  44.0 KB

Old 01-11-18, 10:09 AM
Solenoid in Honeywell Gas Valve STILL kicking in and out?

My boiler is a Teledyne -Laars JVT100C, circa 1985. No auto 24Volt vent flap or flame roll over switch is installed. So I just replaced the Honeywell gas valve, VR8300 model and thermocouple and the same previous symptoms are occurring. Pilot lights fine and boiler fires right up with nice blue flame. Heat exchanger just totally cleaned. No zone valves in system, just using Taco 007's. As soon as temp starts rising above 140 F,
the solenoid inside the valve starts to quickly activate in and out, loud clicking. Now I am suspecting the 24 volt lock out relay at fault . This and the high limit switch are the only parts that I think could be at fault ,other than an intermittent spade electrical connection. The high limit switch seems to work OK as it shuts down the fire cycle at different temperature high temp settings. Obviously not using it until it's fixed. Any suggestions ?

Old 01-11-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
If you change all the parts you'll be sure to find the problem.

You need to follow the flow of 24vac from the control board to the valve. The diagram I posted came from the manual that should cover your unit. The manuals show all parts that could be used in the series...... not that your particular boiler has them.

There has to be some kind of thermal protection in the gas valve line. Since it's jittering when it gets hot.... it makes sense that the thermal switch could be defective.

Your unit should have it's own dedicated wiring diagram on it. That will show you exactly what parts you have. If you don't understand it.... post a picture of it.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-12-18, 07:36 AM
My Problem is Fixed!
Being the gas valve solenoid was cutting out in both the domestic hot water cycle, (super storer tank), as well as the heating loop, the only common thread and culprit was the power vents 24 volt vacuum switch that turns out is faulty and intermittent.
Thank You All for consulting and schooling me.

Old 01-12-18, 04:24 PM
It's best to not throw parts at an electrical problem. Better to systematically troubleshoot with a voltmeter if you have one and know how to use it. The price of a new gas valve and thermocouple might have helped offset a call to a technician? Keep you old gas valve and thermocouple as spares.