B&g flow control valve stuck closed

Old 01-05-18, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
B&g flow control valve stuck closed

Hi everybody... Haven't logged in for a while. Anyway wanted to post some info about a b&g flow control valve stuck closed. There is another thread stickied from 2011 that starts off on this topic then veers off onto chewed up b&g 100 circ impellers.

Anyway had a call for no heat during the recent blizzard - go figure...

Got there and sure enough the feed pipe was cool. Circ was running and no change. I thought what the heck so the pressure was 10 so i brought that up to 16. No change. Then tried to see if air was in the loop so closed the valve by the circ and opened the drain above it. About a half gallon of water cam out then stopped. The only thing possibly blocking flow i figured is the 50 year old flow valve. Manually opened it all the way and nothing except air bubbles around the stem. Then rapped on it with a pipe wrench.... Still nothing. Ok so im out here waiting for the plumber to show and sweat in a new one. Cant wait to see what this sob looks like inside. The valve i mean ... Not the plumber.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Probably a frozen line... With these cold temps its common place..Hot water with lack of air freezes first... Flow controls from my experience rarely go bad... and especially stuck closed..

Old 01-05-18, 02:33 PM
If you opened the manual operator on the Flo-Control valve, and got no flow, the line must be frozen.

Old 01-09-18, 03:05 PM
We've never heard back from the O.P. with a report on what his plumber found. My guess is that indicates the flow blockage was, indeed, frozen pipes as we strongly suggested.

Old 01-09-18, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IMHO it's a shame more people don't come back with the end of the story. Seems to me it sure would be helpful. But I guess that's life.