hitting the reset button is becoming the norm.

Old 01-24-18, 07:48 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
engine3810 (breaker opening) ....appears to only happen when its running for a long cycle.
Breaker tripping after long cycle is classic sign of transformer going bad. A quick temporary fix is to wire 100 watt light bulb in series with transformer. As xformer heats up and draws more current on extended run the bulb will light rather than breaker popping.

Newer solid state ignitions are more reliable that the old style transformers and should be use for replacement.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Allanson...ner-11214000-p

Forty year ago professionals could not find why my burner breaker popped every morning during long run to bring house up to day time temp. Reset breaker and everything was fine until next morning when breaker popped again. That is when I became DIYer. Saving hundreds of dollars a year for service over 40+ years adds up.

Last edited by doughess; 01-24-18 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-18, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is there a right and or wrong transformer to buy? Do I need to provide any further info for someone to be able to answer that ? if so, let me know please.

Im thinking I will be upgrading the other parts soon as possible once the weather breaks (providing cash is on hand) From the sounds of it, the transformer may be a possible cause for my issue, and appears to be a pretty simple swap out item.

I think I'll be printing out some of these posts to keep on hand as well.

Old 01-24-18, 05:56 PM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Just ask for a Beckett transformer.

Go to this sight and see what you need

http://www.supplyhouse.com/

Type in BECKETT OIL BURNER TRANSFORMER and it should be the one I listed below.
3RD ond on right, top row.

Electronic Oil Igniter for A, AF & AFG. SKU 51771U. $36.95

Last edited by spott; 01-24-18 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 08:14 PM
Transformers are one technology and igniters a totally different one. For those who do not know the difference it may not be an issue. Asking for a transformer when you want igniter may not be the best starting point.

Below is a more direct link:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-...r-for-A-AF-AFG

Old 01-31-18, 04:34 PM
Ok, so which is it that I should get then, is it a transformer, or an igniter? Planning on headin to Lowes this weekend, hope they will have what I need.

Also as a follow up, I did add the Sludge remover on the 22nd, low temps have been at about 25 or more since, till last night, temps dropped to almost single digits overnight, woke up around 3:30 this morning to a very cold house. It hasnt happened for almost two weeks before that.

Old 01-31-18, 06:24 PM
Post #43.

They are the same thing. Either name will do. You know what they look like. They create a spark to light the oil.

Did you look on their web sight. I would call first because I can't find them there.

Home Depot, according to their sight has them in limited supply depending where you are for 15.00 more than the sight I gave you.

As a suggestion, I would do my homework before you waste your time running around and coming up empty handed.

Chances are they

Old 02-01-18, 07:19 AM
engine3810 has a number of options.

supplyhouse.com has Beckett igniters for $36 plus $5.00 over night delivery.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-...r-for-A-AF-AFG

HomeDepot for same thing is $49.95 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Electron...beckett+51771u

Saying both transformers and igniters make sparks is like saying a light bulb just makes light. If you are into Thomas Edison spend even more for less reliable transformers below:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...%20transformer

On DIY is is very common to see people replacing defective old technology parts with same model at higher price than newer technology, more effective and reliable items.

Last edited by doughess; 02-01-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 03:50 PM
Sludge removers are best added just before a fill so that it will be better distributed. After initial treatment add proportional amount based on estimated gallons of fill. Hercules works out to about 3 ounces per 100 gallons of fill.

Old 02-02-18, 03:42 PM
I only added a little less than half the bottle, tank was a little less than 3/4 full (205 gal tank) gonna put the rest in when the come to fill it next week.

prefer Lowes over Home Depot because I can get the 10% military discount, but will bite the bullet and hit Home depot if i have to, might be a couple of bucks more, but I am trying to avoid using the plastic at this time.

I usually do check online to see supplies first, i hate making the trip for nothing.

looks like a two wire setup for just the ignitor? will the new one come with a new cad cell which is three wires? , or am I reusing mine?

Old 02-02-18, 04:49 PM
Reusing yours.

Cad cell has only 2 wires that are yellow. You just remove it from the holder and reinstall it. You don't even have to remove the wires.

The ignitor has 2 wires. Hot & neutral. Just tie them in where the old ones were.

When I searched on line not all home depots carried them.

Your best and cheapest buy would be the sight I sent you but you would have to use plastic.

Good luck,

Old 02-02-18, 08:20 PM
engine3810 prefer Lowes over Home Depot because I can get the 10% military discount, but will bite the bullet and hit Home depot if i have to,

Have 4 HomeDepots within 10 miles. One of them (#1213) always gives me grief over discounts when shown my Department of Veterans Affairs photo ID card. People at other HDs are nicer and try to use them whenever possible.

Actually www.supplyHouse.com usually is much cheaper than HD with mil discount even with shipping added. SupplyHouse shipping gets here in one or two days.

Old 02-03-18, 08:04 AM
yeah, I guess I'm using plastic ! didnt realize it was that much of a price difference. will be ordering it this afternoon. thank you so much!

Old 02-07-18, 08:25 PM
Beckett igniter is here, hope to do it this weekend!
now this part, is it supplying power for the electrodes?

Old 02-08-18, 09:14 AM
engine -

Yes the igniter gives you the spark across the electrodes. IMHO why you are at it, you could check out your electrodes. The assembly comes out if you disconnect the oil line at this point Ė

Name:  AFG1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  87.5 KB

The assembly is in the pic below. The first time I checked mine they looked like the 2nd pic below, points all gone. Maintenance guy never did anything with them. Seemed wrong to me, but I think some of the pros arenít that worried about electrodes with no tips. But thatís why I decided to do my own maintenance.

I put new electrodes in and after a year you can see them in the last pic.. The tips are supposed to be lined up just right in front of the nozzle and there is a cheap gauge you can buy made just for the purpose of setting the electrode tips at the right position. But maybe you could just give a look at yours and be able to tell something from their appearance.

I donít think you can get into much trouble by just disconnecting the oil line and removing the assembly for inspection. I donít think you can see down the tube with a mirror to check them. Maybe you could check them at a later time, after you are up and running with the new igniter.

Attached Images    
Old 02-08-18, 01:14 PM
Here is a link that explains the electronic igniter.

https://www.beckettcorp.com/support/...onic-igniters/