Oil Boiler falls below low set point overnight

Old 01-15-18, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Boiler falls below low set point overnight

Good morning.. My first post. Recently we have been experiencing intermittent problems with our oil furnace overnight when calling for heat. During the days we typically have a wood stove going so the furnace is not being called for heat, only hot water. It does this fine with zero problems. Overnight, we do not keep anything burning in the wood stove. I have the low set to 60, but have woken up to temps inside at 54 and the furnace won't fire even for hot water. I've replace the thermostat and same problem. I do know that it is working fine until the call for heat. I can see this morning for example that the temp inside the furnace was at 110, so I know it wasn't off for a long time or it would have fell much below that. This would coincide with when it first called for heat. The house is typically about 74 with the wood stove running. I'm a bit at a loss here as it only happens when the internal house temp drops quickly on cold single digit nights where the house was warmed all day/night by wood heat. Also, once it falls below the setpoint it seems like the room thermostat prevents the burner from firing. I have to turn off the thermostat upstairs and reset the furnace. Once it's in its normal operating temperature, heat and hot water work without problems. It's only when heat hasn't been called for a long time and temperature drops inside quickly when the wood sourced heat is no longer there.

Last edited by jkuzo; 01-15-18 at 07:10 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-18, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
The problem appears to be your burner failing.

Are you having to push the reset button on the burner control to get ignition ?
Oil burners need "hands on" servicing.
Has it been serviced recently ?

Old 01-15-18, 09:52 AM
It was serviced before winter and no apparent problems at that time. I don't need to push the reset button on the burner. Usually turn the switch off for a bit and back on and it fires up. It would appear to me that it only fails when it calls for heat overnight after not doing so all day. The hot water works fine all day/night until overnight, so the furnace runs perfectly fine until that overnight first call for heat.

Old 01-15-18, 11:00 AM
To add. It has now been running for hours without issue providing heat and hot water. It will work perfectly unless there is a long time with no call for heat and inside temp drops quickly. Hot water function will co to use to be fine as well until that first call for heat after the period of no heat call. Can a sudden drop in interior temperature possibly trigger the wall thermostat to think something is wrong and send a stop signal? Dropping quickly from 75-60 due to wood heat stopping?

Old 01-15-18, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not the pro in this forums but I can tell you that it is not a thermostat problem.

I think we're going to need the model number of the boiler. I can't really think of what could cause that problem. A burner issue would trip the manual reset.

Old 01-24-18, 09:20 AM
- Is your oil tank inside or out? How cold is it outside?
- Is the oil feed line coming from the top or bottom of the tank? If top, your dip tube may be corroding and allowing air into the line, thus stopping your boiler from running. Do you have a de-aerator installed like a tigerloop? (google it).

thanks.

Old 02-13-18, 07:43 PM
Furnace was cutting off

heres the low down. Had intermittent issues where furnace would fire for various lengths of time. Def flame. Would trip typically after no call for heat or hot water for awhile. Replace filter which was cruddy. Still existed. With filter off and valve open only a trickle out of tank. Obvious blockage. Took oil filter housing off and blew air back into tank. Full flow now. Reassembled and primed and now running fine. What can I do to prevent that sludge from blocking the valve again I did put some Hercules Sludge treatment down. Hoping that helps in the long term. Any other advice outside of replacing tank in future?

Old 02-13-18, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It turned out to be rank sludge blocking proper fuel delivery. I back blew the tack and now the flow is as should. With the oil filter off and the valve all open I barely got a trickle. After blowing it back I now get a full stream.

Old 02-13-18, 08:43 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Often posts arise from a common issue of fuel oil sludge. Using some sludge treatment ($10 quart) on a regular basis is good preventive maintenance.

Here is the descriptive text from one treatment: “disperses sludge and emulsifies water in oil tanks to help eliminate burner breakdown, sludge formation and winter freezing. Discourages soot formation and helps conserve energy. Helps avoid breakdowns from clogged lines, strainers and nozzles. “

https://www.homedepot.com/p/32-oz-Fu...5310/100145488

Initial treatment is explained on label. Then before each fill add 3 ounces per 100 gallons. These treatments (there are many kinds) are not a “cure all” for fuel oil issues but are effective, cheap and harmless.

Last edited by doughess; 02-13-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Two threads on same topic combined.