Spill switch cut off temperature

Old 01-30-18, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Spill switch cut off temperature

Various spill switches come with various cut off temperatures. Is there any magic threshold of cut off temperature? Should it be necessarily below water boiling temperature (which is 212 oF)?

The switch in my gas-fired steam boiler is 210 oF and it trips occasionally although the chimney has no blockage. I presume the temperature in the draft hood depends on actual layout and length of the vent pipes, not just boiler model. Any potential problems if I change to the next on line 240 oF?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 12:28 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
I,
Your spill switch has nothing to do with your boilers water temp but with air temp and how the boiler is drafting.

If your switch is going off that generally means you have a draft problem, either through the boiler or the chimney.

You don't necessarily have to have a blockage. You may just have a poorly venting chimney.

That switch is there for your protection against flue gasses not getting exhausted up the chimney.

If you increase the disc temp it's just more CO that you will be subjected to. which isn't good.

What I would do is start with a draft gauge and see what's going on with the chimney and go from there.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-31-18, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@spott

Your points are well taken. However, I still wonder what determines the switch temperature. Why 210F not 200 or 240?

Old 01-31-18, 04:19 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
The boiler manufacturer. It's what they spec for their units.

You must remember these switches are made for a variety of units, including warm air furnaces and boilers and even appliances like dryers use them. They are only a switch.