Loud noise coming from circulator.

Old 02-01-18, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud noise coming from circulator.

Iíve been having a rough time with my boiler and heating system this winter and so Iím trying to get help identifying and then figuring out this noise comming from the circulator.

https://youtu.be/3Kr5lb16VuY

First some context. I have a 2 zone steam heating system with a gas boiler in an attached 2 family house. Itís fairly well maintained and just had a checkup over the summer. During a particularly cold week right after Christmas I started hearing loud rattle noise from the system. The heat still worked but I was concerned about the noise. When I turned down the thermostat on the basement zone to 60deg, the noise stopped but we lost heat in that zone and it never came back on. The other zone (top floor) worked fine. I called the heating/plumbing company we have a service contract with and they sent a guy over. I was told that the circulator had died and would need to be replaced. $730 later, a new circulator is installed and the heat is back on.

Two weeks later and the new circulator is making the same (albeit not as loud) noise. Although it seems to be intermittent as when I had the company send someone we couldnít reproduce the noise. So Iím another $139 down and yesterday it started back up again. Before I sink any more $$ into this I want to try to learn more about what could be causing this noise. Iíve suspected maybe sediment? Cavitation? Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-18, 10:10 PM
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
J,
Do you have a way to isolate your circulator. Shutoff valves above and below the pump.

If you do why don't you just shut the system down, close the valves and remove the pump yourself instead of paying 700.00 for a 100.00 pump. You can remove it by removing the 4 bolts and 2 wires and through a new one in, or if you want to see what's making the noise which is probably the plastic impeller you can remove the 4 screws on the canister and separate it from the volute (part connected to piping) and check the impeller.

It almost sounds like your pump is running dry. What is your boiler pressure and are you getting heat now even with the noise.

Pics of that whole line above and below the pump would be helpful to see if you have the proper valves, and also of the boiler itself.

By the way, you have a HOT WATER SYSTEM, not steam.

Hot water has a circulator pump like yours. Steam does not.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-...5-HP-1983000-p

Go to the above sight and you can learn about your pump. Click on the arrow under the pic on the left and watch the video. All the info you need is there, just click on the different headings.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 02-02-18, 08:40 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
How hot is the water? What is the pressure on the system? Did they check the piping at the pump when they replaced it to make sure there was nothing in the piping? Go to your highest radiator and open the radiator vent to see if you have water in the system. Post a picture of the whole boiler and some of the piping.

Old 02-02-18, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
It does sound like the circulator is running dry. The fact that circulator has an internal flow check makes me wonder if there isn't air trapped. Sometimes purging systems with IFC circulators can be a bit difficult.

Old 02-02-18, 04:16 PM
At this point, given the noise from the pump, it is likely that the pump's internals have been damaged. The pump should be removed and inspected for internal damage - there is only one moving part, the rotor cartridge, which includes the impeller. When disassembled, you can post photos. Spott has explained how to remove the pump. If you have isolation valves on each side of the pump, that will make the job easier. If not, you will need to drain the system below the elevation of the pump.

I'm wondering if the O.P.'s conspicuous silence indicates he has moved on?

Old 02-02-18, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
It's only been a day Mike.

How-to-insert-pictures

Old 02-02-18, 05:44 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Was the ciurculator properly lubricated?

Some circulators, including some well known big Bell & Gossetts, must be oiled before being turned on for the first time and oiled every year.

Old 02-02-18, 06:16 PM
His Taco wet-rotor pump is water lubricated - doesn't have oil lubrication.

Old 02-03-18, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was the OP present when the new Circulator was installed . . . . it may have been run dry as a test before the Boiler was filled; and that could have damaged the ceramic bearings. Taco warns against this in its the installation procedures.

Old 02-04-18, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
The OP said he had a steam system. I'm wondering if we have a basement hot water loop running off a steam boiler.

Old 02-04-18, 04:28 PM
Since our O.P., after six days, has not deigned to answer any of our questions, I think it best to move on (like he seems to have). Another drive-by poster.