Weil-McLain Series 68 oil boiler....not firing correctly

Old 02-18-18, 02:43 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil-McLain Series 68 oil boiler....not firing correctly

Hi everyone,
I seem to be having an issue with my Weil-McLain series 68 oil fired boiler that was installed in 1992. What seems to be happening is that the boiler attempts to light and the burner runs but it does not light immediately like it should. There is a delay from the time that the boiler attempts to light vs when it actually lights. I also noticed that a small puff of smoke came out of the inspection plate when it did actually light.
The boiler was tuned up in December with new filters and nozzle. The oil tech said the boiler was in great condition. Any ideas as to what may be happening?

Thank you,
Zack

Old 02-18-18, 03:26 PM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
Z,
You either have a week transformer (creates the spark to ignite the oil from the nozzle) or your electrodes may need attention. Something the tech would or should have check at the time of the tune-up.

You are getting a puff back due to a delayed ignition which is the effect of the late igniting of the oil.

Here is a sight and the part you most likely need. If you are mechanically inclined it's a simple procedure. This is the part if you have a Beckett burner. There are others you can look at for other burners. They all do the same thing but have different bases.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-5...r-for-A-AF-AFG

Hope this helps a little.

Old 02-18-18, 04:31 PM
Z
Ok great thank you for the quick response. Here are some pictures on my burner. Will the part that you provided the link to fit my burner? In reading some of the reviews, they mention differences in mounting and wiring. What kind of surprises will I be in for?

Attached Images   
Old 02-18-18, 04:57 PM
S
Z,
No surprises. It is a direct replacement for yours.

You remove yours by removing the cad cell eye from the underside of your unit. It slides out of the holder.

You will have to lift up your primary control (control with reset button) by removing the screws there and that is where your 2 wires go.

Follow the transformer wires and remove them from the wire nuted connections. Remove the 2 screws of the old transformer and remove it.

Replace with new one, connect wires where the old ones were , replace cad cell eye, close, lock down and test.

Easier done than describing it. You can do this without problems.

Don't forget to shut the power off.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-18-18, 05:10 PM
Z
Should I order a new cad eye cell as well? If so, what model eye should I buy? I know that part is original as well.

Old 02-18-18, 05:30 PM
S
You can, they are cheap. You can get just the eye ( plugs into socket) or the whole unit with the leads. They only make the one model for all.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Westwood-...1-Cad-Cell-Eye

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Westwood-...eads-S-Bracket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: