Issues with my boiler

Old 03-04-18, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issues with my boiler

I need help trouble shooting an issues with my boiler I have an Utica starfire 2 boiler i have had the oil pump changed the motor changed new nozzle new filter electrodes and transformer checked all good for some reason after 2 weeks it shut off and red light came on reset it yesterday ran great all day then this morning popped off again don't have a clue what it could be it's getting really expensive to keep dumping money into it this year any help will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-18, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It can be any of several possible problems.
Fuel oil filter, nozzle, defective/intermittent high voltage transformer, defective/bent electrodes.

You had it serviced two weeks ago. Get the tech back.

Old 03-04-18, 10:08 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
N,
There are 2 basic reasons why a burner goes off on safety.

No ignition or no oil, and if it does light it could be a defective cad cell not recognizing the fire. Any one of these things will shut your burner down after a period of time depending what safety timing you have on your primary control, anywhere from 15-45 seconds.

When you reset the burner do you get a puff back or an oil smell or a slight rumble. Any one these will detect an ignition problem, either a delayed or no ignition which would point to a transformer or defective or misaligned electrodes.

If it happens to be an oil problem you could be looking at your filter, pump, nozzle, restricted oil line. If it was an oil problem it would be happening consistently. Since it happens inconsistently my guess is you have an ignition problem.

Were all these parts changed by a tech for this same problem. It sounds like he changed everything but the chassis. Didn't he leave the old parts in case he was wrong.

Can you post pics of your burner.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-05-18, 06:08 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Diagnostics would be easier here if burner had a modern primary control with LCD digital display that showed status and history.

Honeyell R7284U for $65 is universal and fits most burners. Carlin has a similar one. The basic Beckett-GeniSys lacks display. It must be bought separately. Beckett cost twice as much for same features as the Honeywell.

Some oil companies use the basic Becket controllers with just an LED for status so customers will have to call them to learn reason for shut down and service.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...ic-Oil-Primary

Installing a $6.00 vacuum gauge in oil line between pump and filter is a good way to see fuel issues.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Westwood...-Hg-1-8-NPT-LM

Last edited by doughess; 03-05-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 01:44 PM
When the breaker pops every few days, especially in the morning. It is often the ignition transformer drawing excessive current on long runs bringing house up to day time temps.

A simple check is to wire 100 watt light bulb in series with transformer. If you find the breaker does not pop and occasionally bulb lights the transform is going bad.

Replace with a better and more reliable igniter, not transformer:

supplyhouse.com has Beckett igniters for $36 plus $5.00 over night delivery.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-...r-for-A-AF-AFG

Old 03-06-18, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
No mention of a breaker tripping. It's the burner safety circuit that's tripping.

Old 03-07-18, 07:36 AM
NJcris may never know why his controller shut down because it lacks history of faults.

The computer based Honeywell R7284U controller manual page Page 11 lists history, error messages causes and fixes. Evan a novice DIYer can push a button to see history, reason for lockout /trip then fixes.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...84-INSTALL.pdf

I have long experience diagnosing complex systems. When it comes to status of my home heating system want quick answers and solutions .. not head games.

My "100 watt bulb" post yesterday came about many years ago when professionals could not fix my system shut down with breaker popping. Found and fixed that problem then became a DIYer.

Last edited by doughess; 03-07-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the L7284 error codes overall should be helpful, but take a look at error code 20 “No Ignition”. I would think that all of these problems would funnel into that one code:

(1) oil filter(s) clogged
(2) fuel filter clogged
(3) sludge in fuel line
(4) fuel pump inadequate pressure
(5 )motor problems
(6) igniter/transformer problems
(7) nozzle problems
(8) electrodes misaligned/bad
... and more

In other words, if you see error 20 you are kind of back where you started, and I would think error “20” would be the most common error reported.

Old 03-07-18, 02:53 PM
The starting question is why controller tripped, not what caused it. They trip when certain conditions are met. It does not tell you to adjust gap, buy oil, etc.

Knowing which condition helps to identify the problem. It is not the ultimate answer but can be helpful.

My favorite is “No Flame”. Often that is a fuel issue. That is where a vacuum gauge on the fuel line can be helpful.

Putting Zoesdad 8 problems in to one code is going backward. For that Just stick with old dumb controller like Honeywell R8184

Last edited by doughess; 03-07-18 at 03:10 PM.