Aquastat L8184e Repair - THANK YOU.

Old 03-15-18, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Aquastat L8184e Repair - THANK YOU.

I found this community while trying to research and trouble-shoot my gas fired furnace problem. I have a gas fired boiler with a Honeywell L8148e Aquastat (I have a motorized damper). I had been trying to trouble shoot the whole system for a couple of months (it's not a CRITICAL heating system in my house) and it was posted here that shoddy solder work could be a potential root cause. It was for me. I didn't want to believe it, to be honest. After metering out everything I could possibly meter out, and bypass each component (temporarily) to understand if it was a failed one, I finally broke down and removed the Aquastat to see the back side of the circuit board. The blue wire that takes on the 24V from the solenoid actuated relay is a thru hole solder connected wire - the skin of the solder surface looked clean, but the wire was basically only soldered to a side wall of the hole - not enough connection. The solder on the 24V pin of the relay though looked like it had reflowed numerous times and was cracked and pitted. It all made sense - too small of a junction at the blue wire connection would be high resistance and generate heat somewhere, and that was at the pin of the relay. My problem was intermittent and I could actually get the boiler to fire sometimes if I tapped on the Aquastat. Circulator ALWAYS ran(it runs off of house 120V, btw, and through the same solenoid actuated relay). I added more solder to the blue wire connection to fill it and a little bit at the relay pin to reflow/refresh it and all is now well. So simple, yet complex. In the beginning, the furnace repair guy wanted a few hundred to replace the Aquastat but also was saying I should replace the whole boiler for +$3k since it is just over 20 years old. "It's just a matter of time now"... So THANK YOU, for posting your issues and your solutions. They DO help. And I will help if you ask me.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-18, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... those controls have been known to have solder issues.
Glad you got yours straightened out.