DHW temperature too low all of a sudden

Old 03-19-18, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DHW temperature too low all of a sudden

After living with forced air heat of various iterations (gas, wood, oil, etc...) we purchased a home with hydronic baseboard heat fired by a Buderus oil boiler in October. The entire system was put in about 13 years ago and works very well. The boiler also makes DHW which is stored in a 50 gallon tank. The wife and I like our showers VERY hot-the first thing we did was remove the anti-scald valve stop from the shower in our master bathroom (we left the valves in place for the two other bathrooms as this is where the kids bathe) and it was great. Somewhere between 3/4 and full on was the sweet spot. However, over the last few days we've noticed that in order to get the water hot enough just to not feel comfortable ie: not too cold, we've had to turn the valve onto full (which should be hot enough to actually burn). The first time I noticed this was while taking a shower on a Saturday afternoon having come in from working outside. I dismissed it because my wife was doing laundry. However, she had noticed it during her shower first thing in the morning (no other hot water consuming appliances had run all night) and this morning I noticed the same thing.

I've not changed any settings on the boiler and the circulator pump (there is a dedicated pump for the DHW) appears to be working. Nothing outwardly seems to be wrong, so I'm wondering if there could be some kind of buildup or scale around the heat exchanger in the storage tank that is impeding the flow of heat? Either that or maybe a bad sensor?

This is my circulator pump:

And this is the boiler controller:

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We're looking for the hot water storage tank. Does it have a gauge on it ?
A few more pictures of the system would be helpful.

Old 03-19-18, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm at work right now and did not take any pictures of the tank. Will try to post some tonight, but its pretty simple. It looks like a conventional standalone water heater tank with four ports: boiler in, boiler out, water supply in, water supply out. There is no temperature gauge on the tank unfortunately.

Old 03-19-18, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
It may have a defective aquastat controlling the DHW circulator.