Boiler not providing enough hot water

Old 04-10-18, 03:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler not providing enough hot water

In 2008 I added a Weil Mclain oil-fired boiler to provide hot water baseboard heat to the first floor of my home which was all electric. The second floor is still all electric .The plumber who sold me the boiler told me I would never run out of hot water. After several years I called to say the problem was not enough hot water. he came out and superheated the boiler water to "loosen deposits on the coil". He said deposits build up on the coil when you have hard water. I am on Town water and our water is not hard . I did not see much debris in the bucket when he was going through this process. Over time the problem has worsened.
at the time the boiler was installed they disconnected the electric water heater but it was never removed. I don't have much faith in this process of superheating the coil water to resolve the issue and I'm wondering if I should go back to heating hot water with an electric water heater. I've been told a new coil is about $3,000. . Can the electric water heater be controlled with a timer so that it is not maintaining water at 120 degrees 24/7? I also wonder if the electric water heater is compromised by sitting unused, full of water, for 10 years. OCT 88 is on the label. Chances are pretty good I should get a new one?:
the hot water comes out scalding hot for about 30 seconds and then it cools. I have my thermostat programmed to lower the heat in the home to 60 between 8 and 4. I have to make sure that I override it if I want to shower during that time. I want to get this fixed but don't have any knowledge of boiler systems and how I might solve this problem in a most cost-efficient and energy efficient way.

Old 04-10-18, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can the electric water heater be controlled with a timer so that it is not maintaining water at 120 degrees 24/7?
Why ?

I've never heard of superheating the boiler water. That doesn't sound terribly effective. They would normally circulate acid thru the coil to clean it.

I would not put that old water heater back into service. Replace it.

Old 04-10-18, 04:30 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I once put an mechanical Intermatic Timer on my electric HWH so that it guaranteed Hot Water from 5AM to 7Am and again from 6PM to 7PM; otherwise, it was just standing by. If I wanted real hot water at other times, I had a manual override.

Old 04-11-18, 05:02 AM
K
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Why ?

I've never heard of superheating the boiler water. That doesn't sound terribly effective. They would normally circulate acid thru the coil to clean it.

I would not put that old water heater back into service. Replace it.
Pete, thank you. I thought not keeping the water at 120 24/7 would save electricity but I guess it's going to have to use that electricity to heat it up again! Yes I figured a new water heater is best. I've used this plumber for years and feel I've been sold a bit of bill of goods about the never running out of hot water thing. Maybe I should try a new plumber 4 installing a new hot water heater to the system. Do they bypass the coil when it's not being used to supply hot water?
I wish I had found this site before I committed to this boiler system. I'm sure there's something more efficient out there but I need to deal with what I've got.

Old 04-11-18, 11:45 AM
K
Vermont, thanks. I would have to defer to the plumber doing the install of the new hot water heater but it's a good question to ask. It worked for you with no problem?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: