Non-condensing Tankless EXHAUST help needed.

Old 06-27-18, 04:52 AM
Non-condensing Tankless EXHAUST help needed.

I have had a nice Bosch non-condensing tankless for about a year now. Just have not found the time to take on the install, but I am now ready.

I need to install my exhaust vertically because of the install location. I am installing it next to a high efficiency furnace I put in about 2 years ago. The subsequent furnace was a 80% efficiency from the 50's. So the chimney it used was good for some pretty high temps. The chimney is not currently being used.

I plan to run my exhaust up through that chimney. My question is do I HAVE to sleeve it/run exhaust pipe up through it for the following reasons.

I am thinking if I have a condensate drain, before the exhaust goes into the chimney, then no corrosive elements would make it into the chimney. And since the chimney was designed,built and used for high temperature flue gases- the tankless exhaust temperatures will not be a problem. So assuming my chimney is still in good shape...
Anyone with knowledge or experience that can help me with this?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-18, 10:04 AM
Let me also add to anyone considering switching to a tankless system- Seriously consider getting a "condensing" tankless water heater. The condensing type reminds me of a motor with a turbo (recycling exhaust gases) whereas the water heater uses/recycles its exhaust and condensation; thus the condensing type of tankless heaters have MUCH lower exhaust temps allowing the exhaust piping to be PVC. As I am sure you know, PVC piping is much cheaper and easier to work with than most other exhaust pipe types.
Just wanted to include those thoughts.

Old 06-29-18, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm fairly certain you need to run a full vent up thru the chimney.
That Bosch requires "B" vent if I'm not mistaken.

Shown in detail on page 10 in the installation link. BoschDWVentingCatalog_