Can a taco zone controller be used without a boiler/furnace?

Old 09-07-18, 03:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can a taco zone controller be used without a boiler/furnace?

I am wondering if a zone controller can be used independently without being wired to a boiler. Basically i am using this for an agricultural heater with heat exchangers and forced air and will have a tank of hot water heated via wood boiler. I am wondering if i can use the controller to circulate hot water in various zones with the usual valves pumps and thermostats without it being connected to a furnace by jumper wires etc. Or is there a better option to what im trying to do. I guess some wood boilers already have this control perhaps but i believe most are made to just heat the boilers water and the boiler controls everything. thanks for any help and suggestions! thanks

Old 09-07-18, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Taco zone valves are 24vac motorized valves. When 24vac is applied to terminal 1 and 2..... the internal motor opens the valve. When power is removed..... a spring closes the valve. They can be used on any heat carrying water pipe.

On edit: I went back and reread your post. You were asking about controllers.... not zone valves. Sure.... a zone controller is nothing more than an electronic switch. It takes thermostats or aquastats in and controls zone valves and one pump OR multiple pumps. Sounds like you need the one that controls zone valves directly and has a single pump control output.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-07-18 at 07:32 PM. Reason: whoops

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: