Awoke to no hot water. No power to Taco SR506

Old 09-13-18, 10:21 AM
Awoke to no hot water. No power to Taco SR506

Good day to you all,
I am in need of some help.
Luckily it's hot now in NY. I awoke to no hot water. Went to basement to see what the problem may be. Iound the Taco SR506 switching relay has no power. I have a Burnham boiler. And a Superstor ultra indirect fired water heater.
Before I even realized there was no power to the relay, I drained some water directly out of the water tank while letting the water run in the slop sink. that's when I realized the boiloer isn't turning on to refill the hot water. Hmmmmm. So I looked at the taco box and saw the green and red lights were off. Checked the power switch make sure it is on. it's on. Wto breaker box. Circuit is on. Not tripped. Boiler temp read 70'F. Which tells me it's was off all night. Listened closely and I could hear a faint buzz when the boiler power switch is on. No sound when it's off. Removed and tested fuse for continuity. Have continuity and changed it anyway. Just in case.

Now what do I do?
i've attached pics of the system. I just noticed the pressure relief valve on the expansion tank is leaking. Can that have any cause to the problem.

Attached Images     

Last edited by PJmax; 09-13-18 at 10:54 AM. Reason: labeled picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-18, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Thread moved to boiler forum.

I labeled your picture. Check for 120vAC at the right red circle. Check the fuse in the left red circle.
If both ok..... check for 24Vac at the blue circle.

Old 09-13-18, 12:16 PM
Thank you so much Pete. While waiting for a reply I found out the boiler is getting 32.1v as is the red and white wires immediately to the right of the fuse in the relay box.

I will check all the others now.

Thank you!

Old 09-13-18, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
That red and white wire cable is on the X X terminals. Shorting those two terminals will start the boiler.

Old 09-13-18, 12:48 PM
Hello Pete.
the right red circle has 148.6V
The fuse has continuity beep sound
The blue circle has 0v. not the 24v is should have.

What does all that mean and how do I fix it?

Thank you so very much.
RoziA

Old 09-13-18, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pretty sure it means the transformer is bad. I'll check into it.

Also....148vAC is on the high side. Check some receptacles around the house to see if you measure the same thing. Sometimes digital meters will read incorrectly high if the battery is weak.

Your 32vAC on the XX terminals is also a little high. It should be around 24vAC.

Old 09-13-18, 12:53 PM
Hi thanks for the reply.

How do I short the red and white wires?

ATB,
RoziA

Old 09-13-18, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
With anything..... pliers.... piece of wire.

I'm not finding a replacement transformer. That one has four connections soldered to the board and the two mounting studs. I may be able to find that transformer but it would require some installation effort. Post a closeup picture of the label on the transformer.

Old 09-13-18, 01:38 PM
Can i replace the transformer?
multimeter and batteries bought today just for this occasion. What can cause higher voltage? Should I call electrician if I find it running high throughout the house? My microwave started tripping it's circuit breaker today too. Could this be due to an electrical problem and not isolated to the possibly bad transformer?

thanks you all for helping.

RoziA

Old 09-13-18, 01:42 PM
Hey PJMaxx,
is the transformer the Taco switching relay (green motherboard) or something soldered to it?
or is it inside the boiler housing?

Thanks,
RoziA

Old 09-13-18, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
The transformer is right above my blue circle in the zone control.

Old 09-14-18, 01:38 PM
pic of transformer

Hello PJmax and everyone whose been helpful.

Update. POCO came out this afternoon to check why and/or confirm my high voltage reading. Turns out the transformer i told them that was humming for the number of days I've had electrical disturbances was in deed very very bad and in need of replacement. They transfered me and other neighbors to another transformer.
All seems well EXCEPT my boiler is not turning on. The Taco is exactly the same except it now has normal electrical voltage.

So about the transformer that may be bad. How do i fix it?
how do I attach a poc from cell phone?

Old 09-14-18, 02:57 PM
R,
This is just a suggestion.

My guess is the spike in voltage from their bad transformer is what burnt out your control.

Why not call back POCO and see if they will cover the repair. You may need a whole new control which isn't cheap.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps a little.

Old 09-14-18, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
spott is spot on.

They can and do cover certain repairs..... especially when they've admitted they've had a main transformer problem. You're lucky you didn't have more damaged in the house.

The typical repair for that problem is to replace the entire Taco unit. Myself...... I'd replace the defective transformer. I can help you make the repair.

Old 09-18-18, 02:30 AM
I replaced the Taco board

Thanks so muc for your feedback and consideration.
I did replaced the SR506exp for a SR506. I'd have to drive too far to pick up the 506exp. The i paid a bit more for it from the store the sold the exp mod but in all they were open till 1pm on a Satuday and I figured I was saving by DIYing. I called the 3 local plumbing suppliers & only Blackman carried it in a town 30 minutes away. A pro would have added the cost of travel to get it I'm sure.
Anyway, I replaced the whole unit because it is a no return item. Even though I may have only needed to replace the 120v relay(?) I wasnt sure if that was the only problem. With no hot water i needed to take action. The POCO should cover the cost.
In summary, the replacement was easy. Except that Taco made the boards slightly different that a 1st timer needs to be careful for. So a note to all, make sure you have enough wire to work with and pay attention to the hot and common connectors for the zones. They are reversed on the SR506EXP & SR506.
Connected SR, turned on the breaker, turned on the power to boiler and yahoo 🤠, hot water.
I savd the 506exp to tinker with & repair incase adding head to the fished basement is desired.
PJmax, no surprises, found out on Sunday one of my central AC units isn't turning on and the other 2 just keep cooling past the set temp. I had to call a service for that. Too much YouTubing and Googling for me to take that on.
Thank you so much for all of your very helpful advice. This forum has helped me many times.
All the best,
RoziA

Old 09-18-18, 03:05 AM
Can someone explain what POCO is; I need to add it to my lexicon so that I can fully understand and appreciate this situation ?

Old 09-18-18, 03:35 AM
POwer COmpany (I think!) Steve