How to drain a zone to replace baseboard heat elements.

Old 09-16-18, 02:12 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to drain a zone to replace baseboard heat elements.

Hi, I’m looking to save some coin by replacing some very old baseboard elements with new ones. I’m just not familiar with my newer boiler system and don’t know how to drain the specific zone I’ll be working on.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Ps.. attempted to attach a pic without much luck. Will post this a then try adding the pic.

Last edited by akegb3; 09-16-18 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Add a link to pic
Old 09-16-18, 02:52 PM
A
Finally! Got an image linked! Again, thanks for any help and let me know if additional pictures are needed.

Old 09-16-18, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You can insert pictures (attachments) locally too...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 09-16-18, 03:46 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
From the pic you provided if I am looking at it right it looks as if you have shutoffs and drains on the returns but only zone valves on the supply's and no shutoffs.

If all you want to do is drain a zone for baseboard replacement close the ball valve on the return to that zone, remove the #1 wire on the zone valve (top wire) so even if someone turns your stat up by mistake it will not operate the ZV.

The ZV will act as a positive shutoff, stopping water from circulating up into the zone and then just open the drain to that zone and the water should drain out of the baseboard.

As long as the ZV and ball valve are good doing this will not effect the rest of the system and you can operate it as usual until you get done without rushing.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-16-18, 04:29 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
What do you mean by replacing "old baseboard elements"? What type baseboards? Usually when baseboards are shot, they are replaced altogether. Its "elements" that makes me wonder.

Old 09-16-18, 09:43 PM
A
Thanks for the information! I’ll give that a try. FYI, by “element” I mean each baseboard heater “unit” or “section”, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: