Need to change parts on Burnham V-74-T boiler

Old 09-18-18, 08:58 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to change parts on Burnham V-74-T boiler

Hi, my Burnham V-74-T boiler needs the swing door mounting plate, front cover, and front panel replaced. Please see attached pictures. A small leaked damaged the parts.
Is this a DIY job? Where can I get the parts? Is it as simple as shutting off the main water, cutting the two pipes to the front panel, and solder two new ones or are there steps to follow first to properly drain the pipes?
It is running without any problems and it does get serviced every year, but I am planning to sell the home in the next couple of years so I need this fixed before then.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Attached Images    
Old 09-18-18, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
A small leaked damaged the parts.
That's a bit larger than a small leak.

Did you get that fixed ? That's a bigger problem than the burner door.
A little rust on the door won't hurt it. Take the parts off, sand/wirebrush them and repaint with high heat paint.

Old 09-18-18, 02:06 PM
D
Thank you PJmax for the quick response.
I had tried to fix the leak with high temp epoxy putty but still leaks a little bit right by where it meets the nut that screws into the black round panel. It's been going on for several months and I finally decided to tackle it again now.
Since I have to remove the parts to clean it up, I rather just replace them with new ones. The burner door doesn't look too bad, but the panel front door (where the pipes screw in) is very rusty and even if I paint it, the home inspector will probably red flag it. The blue front panel is also missing a section of metal due to rust (you can see the white insulation behind it). I had already cleaned this up and applied high heat paint when I first discovered the leak.
How do I go about draining the system first? Do I just cut the pipes and let it drain? Once it is all back together I just let the water flow again? Is there a method to this part? The job itself doesn't look hard but I just don't know much about how the water flows, air bleeding, etc.
Thanks again.

Old 09-18-18, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I thought you were referring to the burner door below. The part you want to replace is the tankless coil. Either the entire coil or possibly just the cover.

Looking at the parts listings..... it looks like the cover and the coil are replaced as a unit. Definitely a pricey situation. Look in the link I left. The round tankless coils are listed there.

boilersupplies/tankless-heater-coils/burnham-america-tankless-heaters

Name:  coil.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  18.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-18-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 04:05 PM
D
Great! That's exactly what I was looking for. I should be able to just cut the pipes, and then install new ones with the new heater. Thank you for all your help.

Old 09-19-18, 06:52 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
I also have a tankless coil but have never had to replace it – yet. But I do remember a lot of discussion on this forum in the past about the problem of snapping bolts when trying to remove an old coil. Seems like that’s a fairly common problem. But I do remember a thread or two where some people fortunately did not run into that problem. Just thought I’d mention it so you can be aware. Here is one such thread:

Tankless Coil - Broken Bolts

Old 09-19-18, 07:30 AM
D
Thank you, I'll keep this in mind and will make sure i have the proper tools before I start. I'll start squirting some Kroil penetrating oil and hopefully it will help.

Old 05-28-19, 08:03 AM
D
I finally tackled this. I removed the fittings that screw into the heating coil and there was no build up at all so I decided not to change it. I just replaced all the fittings and pipes that were leaking and all is good now.
I did notice one bolt has a small leak. I tried to tighten it up but didn't move at all and I don't want to break it. Is there anything I can put in there to stop the leak? It is only a drop here and there so not that big of a deal but I rather stop it if possible. I really don't want to try to remove it and then break it.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Attached Images  

Last edited by deerpark; 05-28-19 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added picture

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: