Weil Mclain Ultra 155 - nearby piping install

Old 10-03-18, 07:09 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Weil Mclain Ultra 155 - nearby piping install

Hi,
I am trying to install my new Weil Mclain Ultra 155 boiler and i was wondering is there any min. length of pipe I should need before first turn from boiler ?. I could not find any such restriction from Manual but is there any code that min. 12 inch or more pipe has to go straight up before making any first turn ? This is for Primary Piping from and To Boiler.

Thanks

Old 10-03-18, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The "boiler guys" will be by.

Pictures are always very helpful in the installation process...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-03-18, 08:25 PM
M
Here is the piping picture I am trying to install. Please note that this is two Ultra 155 installation. One as Lead Boiler and Another as Secondary(Slave). My question is where Dotted Arrow shown, what is min. pipe length before I make first turn. One of Plumber told me it should be min. 1 feet pipe straight before I can make any turn.

Also, I have attached Weil McLain manual example diagram which I am trying to install similar setup

Attached Images   
Old 10-05-18, 04:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you are tying the new unit into the system where the dotted lines are make sure that the pipnng at the connection point increases to the same size as the system supply manifold connection. IE; 3/4" boiler supplies to 1-1/4" manifold size, use reducing TEES not 3/4"X3/4" tees. You will want to have full water flow from both units in case both boiler pumps run at the same time. The diagram you supplied looks to be correct. Also you mentioned the 12" straight pipe run from the boiler which is usually a recommendation from the boiler MFG to try and reduce pump noise and enhance flow through the boiler. Sometimes this has to be done for primary/secondary piping, using "T to T" connections which you do not have. Make sure you follow the MFG recommendations to the LETTER so both units perform to factory specs or better. My 2 cents.

Old 10-05-18, 06:14 AM
M
@Steamboy,
Thank you very much for your response. My Loop and Header pipe both are 1 1/4" per recommendation from MFG. 1 1/4" Loop/Header gets reduced to 1" which turns in to 3/4" pipe for zoning. As long as code does not stop me, I believe I am good. I have followed MFG diagram as well as Piping recommendation.

Old 10-05-18, 09:04 PM
M
One more question, can I use Yellow Flex Pipe to connect to Boiler ? I already have black pipe 2 feet away from boiler but it will be easier if I can use Flex pipe connecting 2' feet to boiler. I am hoping it is not against any code.

Old 10-05-18, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
As a rule.... you cannot pass thru the metal cabinet with flex. At one time it was only appropriate to stub the gas line outside the cabinet in steel pipe and then you can use flex. I was reading that with a change in code you can use a plastic grommet thru the cabinet with flex. That wouldn't fly with me. I don't like flex passing thru what could be a sharp edge. Don't forget.... you should have a drip leg near the boiler too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: