Honeywell L7224U Vs Hydrolevel 3250

Old 10-19-18, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Honeywell L7224U Vs Hydrolevel 3250

SO I had a frigging serious power surge, A few weeks back and we lost a lot of appliances, radios and clocks, chargers for my tools, Garage openers etc. I keep finding new things. Well one item that was surely fried was my HOT WATER Heater aqua-stat. I had the Honeywell aqua-stat L7224U which is a hi /lo. I am using my old one for now, but I am trying to find out more about the Hydro-level 3250 which has the exposed LEDs and is made here in CT, so It comes in better priced (although I am not shopping for price). I would like to know if one has an advantage over the other, so if any one knows I would appreciate any help thanks. He

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-18, 05:45 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Cheap, Easy Solution

biketrax could probably avoid all those problems if a surge/transient protector was installed on a 240 volt breaker in the main electric panel. Without going in a lot of detail protectors are a simple solution. Every home should have one.

They protect everything connected to that panel. Nothing else is connected to protector breaker load side. That breaker trips only if the protector goes bad.

There are many protector brands, prices start around $50. Here is one of many:

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en...ctive-device/#

http://download.schneider-electric.c...c_Ref=NVE82551

Note: While they are commonly called "surge protectors" the damage here was probably due to transients which are brief, microsecond pulses of 1,000's of volts and higher.

Notice that light bulbs were not mentioned by biketrax as damaged item, only things with electronics that have semiconductors devices in them. Semiconductors are often damaged by transients. Incandescent light bulbs are not usually bothered by transients. But, LED bulbs with semiconductors are!

Last edited by doughess; 10-20-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Very useful information!

Thanks Doughess (whats that name imply?) Very useful information even though not what I was after.

Old 10-21-18, 12:10 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
b,
If you go this sight you can get all the info you're looking for if you scroll down to install info and compare it to the Honeywell by typing that one in the search bar.

Only you know what you are looking for so it's hard to recommend one over the other. That being said, personally I have used Hydro-level a lot in the past without any problems and if the control has what you are looking for I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydroleve...or-Oil-Boilers

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-22-18, 07:05 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
To biketrax:
One of the reasons I post on DIY us help people save money. Your post indicated a big expense that might have been avoided with a protector. No, it did not address your question, but it may help others to avoid it!

My home is high on a hill on Long Island Sound. The utility electric system here has a lot lightening/transient problems. Years ago, after a storm my wall switch/light dimmers would get zapped and the lights stays on. Put transient protector in panel and which ended problem. (Have long experience in electrical and electronics)

Why spend $142 on water heater aquastat? I use a $15 PID sold on ebay. No LED's but has 5 digit LCD displays of Set and Measured Temperature, plus alarm channels to use for over and under temp. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Digita...FE0N:rk:1:pf:0
In winter PID activates circulator for tankless coil water to heat tank water. In summer it activates water heater oil burner. Again saves money.

Doughess is a name I have long used in business to flag spam calls and junk mail.

Last edited by doughess; 10-22-18 at 08:27 AM.