American Standard Boiler # GPM7 looking for manual

Old 10-19-18, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard Boiler # GPM7 looking for manual

Anyone have PDF or link to manual? I don't know a lot about boilers, but circulating pump runs constantly (even when thermostat not calling for heat). Couple wires detached. Could it be related to the aquastat? One of my 4 zone valve controls?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-18, 05:06 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
American Standard boilers are mostly quite old, and I doubt that you will find a manual, and even if you did, it probably wouldn't help you solve your problem. A circ pump runs constantly only because the electrical controls are screwed up. An advanced DIYer or technician with a multi-meter should be able to diagnose the problem quickly, but it's a bit beyond what we can help with over the internet. But, you would need to trace the source of the 24V that is continuously closing the pump relay.

Probably, the pump and its controls were not furnished with the boiler.

Old 10-19-18, 05:10 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
j,
Will need a lot more info than provided to diagnose your problem and pics of the wiring and boiler and zone valves would be helpful if possibly.

With the limited info I can tell you it makes no sense for the pump to run constantly when there my be nothing calling. All that will do is burn out your pump from deadheading. Pumps are made to circulate water, not just sit and spin.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-20-18, 03:20 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Years ago before anyone used zone valves and multiple thermostats, all the hot water heating systems that I serviced, utilized cast iron radiators. The training and popular opinion was to run the circulating pump 24/7 anytime the aquastat controlling that pump sensed water in the system above 110 degrees. So, if your system has zone valves there is no need to run the pump 24/7 as yours seems to be doing.

Old 10-22-18, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks all! I did find an old manual in the house showed the wiring for the taco zone valve for intermittent and continuous wiring. It does appear it was wired to run constantly. I am going to have a licensed technician look at it as all this is a bit over my head.

Now the system isn't turning on until I switch to manual open for the first zone valve. I don't think it is a wiring issue coming from the thermostat, maybe the zone valve is bad or related to the zone valve wiring?