Slant Fin V-120-EP combustion inside tubes-2

Old 10-22-18, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slant Fin V-120-EP combustion inside tubes-2

Hi guys,

If the title sounds familiar it's because I started the thread in 2015. The forum will not let me add to the old thread found here. With pictures!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...ide-tubes.html

We never followed through with cleaning the heat exchanger. He continued to have trouble off and on and just dealt with it. This year it will not operate at all. We suspect the ignitor/flame detector and/or cable and are in the process of getting the parts to replace them. The controller turns on the pilot valve and the sparks ignite it, then the pilot valve closes as if it does not detect the flame.

I want to take advantage of the down time and get the heat exchanger cleaned so hopefully it will be more reliable. I understand the jacket top panel has to be removed along with the inducer assembly and flue collector cover. My questions are as follows.

1. Do we need to remove the water lines, or will we be able to lift the jacket top out of the way with the water lines still connected?

2. If we have to remove the water lines when we reassemble do we need to do anything special concerning air removal from the system?

3. The manual on page 14 describes the process in short sentences and a very crude sketch. Does there exist a more in depth description of this process maybe with better drawings or even pictures?

4. The manual describes using furnace cement when reassembling the top panel. Is there any more info on using this? I've never used it before, obviously, but I expect it's not terribly difficult to work with. Any insight?

Thank you in advance. Trying to get this thing going for my aging parents, and money is a problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-18, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update. We used a camera and looked up inside the heat exchangers pins. It's pretty clean. Looks like it must be the gas valve not opening all the way intermittently. Nothing else would cause the burning inside the tube problem, right?