Intermittent failure to ignite

Old 10-30-18, 03:54 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Intermittent failure to ignite

My son has an oil fired heating boiler with an AFG Beckett burner. At least once every day it will fail to ignite when needed. The oil filter has been replaced, the oil line from tank to pump has been blown out, the pump strainer was replaced, the nozzle and electrodes were replaced, fire eye replaced, ignitor replaced and the air passages cleaned. The only things left that I can think of that might possibly be causing the failures are the intermittent primary and maybe the pump. Do any of you guys have any other thoughts? I'm out of ideas. Are there any relays that would cause random failures?Thanks, Bob

Old 10-30-18, 04:00 PM
V
I once had a 10,000 Volt Transformer that acted up at the beginning of the season (and a replacement Sid Harvey Unit that never saw service because it was stored in a cold basement).

I now have a 20,000 Volt Unit that seems to ignite faster . . . . but it too, may not like the cold basement.

That's all I can add to your list . . . . weak or weakening spark.

Old 10-30-18, 04:12 PM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
GD,
Intermittent failures are usually the cause of a failing transformer. That's the blacek high voltage control that sends power to the electrodes to ignite the oil.

You basically have to reasons why the burner doesn't light. No oil or no ignition.

If it were your pump, filter, oil line, electrodes or nozzle, they either work or they don't, but your transformer or electronic oil ignitor as they are called now usually fails sporadically as it begins to fail until it finally goes. It may work for a day or a week and then one time it will fail then work again for a while then fail and when you reset it it usually works fine until the next time so it's hard to diagnose.

One way you can tell is if you will sometimes have a rumble or an oil smell when you reset it. That's the unburned oil from the previous time when it didn't start.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-5...r-for-A-AF-AFG

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-30-18, 04:26 PM
G
Thanks guys, the ignition transformer was replaced yesterday. Still having trouble. I haven't heard any rumbling or seen any black smoke from the power vent. It runs and sounds great when it's firing.

Old 10-30-18, 04:41 PM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
You primary contols job is to power the burner and through the cad cell shut it down when the cad cell eye doesn't see light. It has nothing to do with if it ignites or not. That is the job of the ignition and oil.

As for the pump, it either works or it doesn't so unless your coupling is slipping from the motor to the pump I wouldn't be concerned about the pump.

What you can look at is the proper installation of the electrodes. By that I mean all the measurements are right. If not then as the oil sprays from the nozzle it could be getting on the tips of the electrodes. Once the tips get wet enough they will not ignite and will start to form carbon or soot on them which is nothing more than unburned oil.

If you pull your assembly out see if everything is dry. If not it is in the path of the oil and must be adjusted.

Just my thoughts.

Old 10-30-18, 06:13 PM
G
Thanks, I'll go over there tomorrow. There's a tech coming to give us his best. The new nozzle was installed , then a plastic "positioner" snapped over the nozzle to align the electrodes. I'll have the service tech check the work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: