Radiator Baseboard heats but will not bleed

Old 11-28-18, 07:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Radiator Baseboard heats but will not bleed

Hello,

I hope you can answer my question. I have baseboard radiator heat and I recently bled all of the lines of air. My concern i have one unit that is located upstairs that now running hot. My concern is that when I try to bleed the unit, there is not air or water released. I have cleaned the spout and there does not seem to be any obvious obstructions.

Should i be concerned since the pipe in now hot? or is it safe to just leave it alone.

Thanks all for any advise.

T.

Old 11-28-18, 10:19 AM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
T,
I'm guessing you're bleeding with the system off which is the correct way to do it.

What is your boiler pressure when cold and is it enough to reach the second floor.

If you're cold pressure is too low it may not reach that second floor unit by itself so it will not bleed air or water. Then when the pump comes it gives you that additional lift to run the water through and get heat.

Adjust your cold pressure to 18-20 PSI and see if that helps. Your system will run better and if you have a wet rotor pump like a Taco 007 it will prevent the pump from possible cavitation.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-28-18, 10:43 AM
T
Spott,

Thanks for the reply. Long and short- my system was on when i began bleeding. the reason i bled was because the heaters stopped heating in the kitchen on the main floor. I had to bleed several times to get all the air out on the main floor- sometimes the heat was on and some times it was off. after i finished the main floor i proceeded to the upstairs. at this time non of my pipes were hot and little or no air or water would release out of any of the upstairs pipes. at that time i noticed the PSI was around 15, so i increased to about 20. All but 1 of my pipes released air and water. the one that did not release- the pipe was cold. PSI at cold was 15. I increased to about 18 cold this AM. Still no air or water after the adjustment. but the pipe is now hot. ???

PSI is currently around 18 cold and 22 hot. and i checked my boiler and it does have a Taco.

I purchased this house in 2016- but i have records that the Boiler was replaced in 2012. still looks almost brand new.

would it be safe to increase the PSI to see if i can get the lines to bleed. Worried to add too much PSI and break something.

Thanks

Old 11-28-18, 11:13 AM
S
You have a 30 PSI relief valve on your boiler so it will release at that pressure so I wouldn't go any higher than 25 to be safe. If that valve releases water at 30 and fresh water feeds back in which is where you get your air from you may end up bleeding again.

The general rule of thumb is for every 1LB of pressure you get 2FT of lift so depending how high your second story is 20PSI will give you roughly 40FT of lift plus the pump adds to that which is generally enough but as long as you don't blow the relief valve you are safe to increase it.

There is a proper way to bleed a system so you don't continuously let fresh water and air in as you do it. If not done right you could be just compounding the problem.

If raising the pressure still doesn't allow you to bleed then I would change the vent, most likely blocked. As long as it's heating now there is no problem and is safe.

Old 11-28-18, 11:56 AM
T
So far i have no gurgling or running water noise - so i am going to leave for now. I will continue to monitor that particular unit. If it stops getting warm i will try increasing the PSI. and or replace the vent..

Thanks so much for the advise. I am a new home owner- so living and learning.

Have a Great day!

Old 11-28-18, 12:23 PM
S
You too. Thanks for the update. If it's silent and heating you should be good to go. Sometime the high pressure will force the air through.

Just so you know, if you change the vent you don't have to drain the whole system. Just get it down below the 2nd floor. The less you take out the better for you and the system. Fresh water is a boilers worst enemy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: