Taco SR-506 6 Zone Relay Switch with Priority problem

Old 12-13-18, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taco SR-506 6 Zone Relay Switch with Priority problem

Hi all, new to the forum and hoping you may be able to help.

I have a Taco SR-506 6 Zone relay on a Burnham Revolution gas boiler. I've been having intermittent trouble where the system stops sending heat to any zone, including the hot water. The boiler itself is maintaining temperature and working properly, it's just that none of the zone circulators are running when this occurs. If I turn off the power for a few minutes and turn it back on everything is good again.

I think I've narrowed the problem down a bit and would like input on what might be causing this. Here's the scenario that seems to play out:
1. Multiple zones in the house are calling for heat from the system
2. Someone has a shower, or the dishwasher comes on and uses hot water
3. The hot water tank calls for heat (it's on priority)
4. The switch turns off the other circulators and powers the hot water

However, the circulator on the Hot Water zone circulator doesn't energize. So, the Taco sits there with the priority zone powered, but no circulator which means I get no hot water nor do I get any heat in the rest of the house because the priority zone isn't heating. It only seems to be an issue when other zones are calling for heat at the same time as the hot water zone, because I have no issues all summer long when it's the only zone going.

Also, if I turn off the priority switch, the other zones will start to heat normally with their circulators starting.

The system was installed in 2005 and I'm curious if the Omron relay may have failed on the hot water zone? I haven't had a chance to see if I have current going from the relay to the hot water zone circulator when this occurs, but will check the next time it occurs.

Any thoughts other than a bad relay? And are these relays replaceable? I've attached a pic if that helps,

Thanks for the help!
Matt

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-18, 05:31 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
M,
Has this an ongoing problem or recent. Those cubes are replaceable. You can just pull them out.

Possibly the easiest thing to try at this point is take one from a zone you know is working and switch it with your hot water zone and see if it makes a difference. If so, then just replace it.

When you switch off the priority does the hot water pump work along with the others.

The sight listed below may be helpful with info and parts if necessary. Just scroll down to find any info needed.

If you need a relay cube, yours is the 120V, not the 24V.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...arts-container

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by spott; 12-13-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 07:43 AM
Thanks Spott, this is a problem that has been intermittently occurring over the last year or so, but seems to be getting more common now.

When I turn off the priority I still don't see the hot water circulator come on. Let me try to swap the relays in there (I have one unused zone so could try that one) to see if it helps.

Appreciate the quick response!
Matt

Last edited by mstanlake; 12-14-18 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Additional point
Old 12-15-18, 11:39 AM
Hi all, one further question on this: Which one of the relays corresponds to zone 6? I just realized there are 8 relays and I can't find a mapping on these

Thanks again for the help,
Matt

Old 12-15-18, 12:34 PM
mstanlake-

I think this is how you are supposed to infer the mapping. They relays kind of line up one for one above the connection terminals. Pretty sure, that’s right – but I never messed with them.(better if they had slots marked)

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-18, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Directly above the heavy line marked "120 volt circulatos", each relay is labled zone 1, zone 2, etc.

With there being a neutral connectd to one spot on the board, I'm wondering if maybe one has come loose where they all tie together, presumably in a junction box. It's a long shot but worth looking into.

I don't like using a single neutral & trusting a thin strip of solder to tie all of the neutrals together. Each circulator should have the neutral coming back to the board.

Old 12-15-18, 06:32 PM
Thanks zoesdad and Grady your replies on this. The story evolves. I had the situation happen again today and managed to see if I had voltage on the line going to the hotwater zone. I did, but the circulator wasn't running, so it doesn't look like the relay.

I'm guessing the problem is either in the junction box or the circulator pump itself, which seems odd since it does work once everything has had a chance to "rest" for 5 minutes with the power off. I'll be investigating some more tomorrow.

Now, how common is it for a circulator pump to start to fail? The furnace was installed in 2005, is this a typical lifespan?

Again, appreciate all the help on this.

Old 12-15-18, 06:47 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Pumps do fail. Nothing lasts forever. If you have concerns remove the pump wiring from the relay and wire it to an external source and see what it does.

Depending what you have for a pump they sell replacement kits.

This sight will show you your options.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...07%20circultor

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007...07CI-4116000-p