Replacing an oil boiler chamber

Old 01-02-19, 01:36 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing an oil boiler chamber

Please forgive my ignorance here...

I have a 30+ year old HB Smith oil fired boiler (with domestic hot water) that needs a chamber replacement as indicated by a service tech who just serviced the unit. The unit has a swing door/ access panel to the chamber.

When I peek into the chamber, the walls definitely look like they are decomposing and there are pieces of debris all over the place. There is nothing wrong with the unit, just something the tech brought to my attention.

Again, please forgive my ignorance....but I'm under the assumption the chamber is made of steel, but it appears what's being replace is basically fabric?! Can someone please give me a dumb-down explanation of why the chamber is lined with fabric?!

I looked online and believe I've found replacement kits for around $100.
What's a reasonable amount of time for labor?

Old 01-02-19, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Thread moved to boiler forum.

Old 01-02-19, 05:46 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
Without pics or model number of your boiler it's hard to know if you have a steel or cast iron boiler.

If it's a steel boiler your hot water return, most likely with the pump will enter the boiler about 1/4 -1/2 way up the boiler, above the burner. That is considered a dry base boiler because there is no water surrounding the chamber.

Without a fabric lining as you call it or ceramic chambers, which they actually are, the heat would burn a hole right through the steel chamber. They are available in multiple sizes or you can get what they call "wet pack" and form your own.

With a cast iron boiler you have water surrounding the entire boiler so although a firebox is good to have for different reasons it's not the end of the world if it's not replaced right away. The surrounding water will keep the cast iron sections from burning through.

Below is a sight that may help you with your options.

http://www.lynnmfg.com/hvac/chamber-perfect-fit/

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-07-19, 04:36 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My unit is wet-based. The return enters the very bottom of the unit.

I didn't realize steel was susceptible to degradation due to heat.
Do the ceramic chambers transfer the heat to the metal surfaces?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-07-19, 07:27 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
The ceramic chamber or firebox is there to contain the flame and keep the fire itself off the metal. Even the ceramic chamber itself should not be impinged by the flame, but just to contain the fire and reflect the heat back towards the nozzle warming the oil for better atomization.

Its not only steel. Cast iron boilers, if run without water will also crack just like a car radiator. Why steel dry base boilers are very dependent on ceramic chambers is because of the fact there is no water to absorb the heat and only the steel if the chamber gives out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: