Boiler questions: preparing for summer!

Old 03-21-19, 10:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler questions: preparing for summer!

Hello, I am a new home owner, and cannot figure out how to/if I can turn off the heat to the radiators. The house water heat, as well as our base board heat comes from the oil tank, so I dont want to just close off the oil tank. The furnace keeps turning on and heating for 5-10 minutes at a time every hour or so even though the thermostat is set as low as it can go, which is making the house hot as can be. To get the heat flowing for winter we bled the radiators, but there isnt an instruction manual around for the furnace. I cannot find anything online so this is my last hope!

Old 03-22-19, 02:20 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
b,
You have a boiler that heats water whereas a furnace heats air and delivers it through ductwork to registers to heat your home.

The first thing to determine is if you get your domestic (faucet) water from your boiler. If you do you cannot shut off your boiler without losing your hot water.

That being said having your boiler run for your hot water should not be heating your living space if the thermostat is not calling.

Pics of your system and piping and rads would be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-26-19, 04:20 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Apparently your boiler provides both hot water for radiators and has a “tankless coil” for domestic hot water to faucets, commonly abbreviated as DHW.

In summer boiler runs only for DHW. Turn off boiler and you have no hot water.

A common approach is to install a separate water heater, gas, oil or electric. That is often more economical that firing the boiler all summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: