Oil boiler heating suggestions

Old 03-22-19, 08:22 AM
Arrow Oil boiler heating suggestions

I know that this question is asked a lot but I still struggle with the decision.

We have an oil boiler (hot water baseboard) right now; it will need to be replaced in the near future (I'm assuming, let's just assume that it's a new install for now). I live in Maine, spend anywhere from $2,000 - $2,500 annually on oil and while I'm looking to take shorter showers and improve on other areas, I'd LIKE to get that down even more. We have a gas range and dryer.

I've been reading pro's and con's of both oil and propane (no natural gas available) and they both have their pros. I know that oil has more btu per gallon but the furnace is less efficient.

What I'm looking for:
  • Lower or the same annual heating cost
  • Long lasting furnace
  • Efficient

I've talked with people that swear by oil and then some that swear by propane. I've always had oil but if there's a better option I am willing to use it.

Thank you in advance for your insight,

Last edited by Mainer80; 03-22-19 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Clarifications
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
For something like this you need to be specific. You have an oil boiler...... correct ?
A furnace heats air..... a boiler heats water.

Old 03-22-19, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry, it's an oil boiler, hot water baseboard.

Old 03-22-19, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
No problem..... thread moved and title changed.

The gang will be by later to help.

Old 03-22-19, 11:12 AM
The best money spent to reduce heating bills is usually spent first on new energy efficient windows, then insulation up-grades and sealing leaks to reduce outside air infiltration and lastly the heating system unless the heating system is from the "cave man days" and is very inefficient or is a steam system. I mention steam because a steam system costs more on a yearly basis to heat a space than does a hot water system. ( I am a steam guy by trade) My last comment is that the average hot water boiler can last 100 years, I know cause I have seen them last that long. So you replace them when the increased heating efficiency will justify the investment.

Old 03-22-19, 11:25 AM
Let's assume that this is a new install, please.

Old 03-22-19, 12:29 PM
If all you want to do is compare the cost to heat a house with either propane or #2 fuel oil check with both suppliers in your area and ask them for the cost per 1,000,000 BTU's for that fuel. If you are asking for an opinion on simplicity and overall operating costs then myself, I would take the propane since the oil unit requires much more service to keep it performing at peak efficiency.