Oil fired DHW heater problem

Old 03-31-19, 08:00 PM
Oil fired DHW heater problem

Hi, my husband and I recently bought a home with an oil heat and an oil fired hot water heater. We having a hardtime with the hot water heater. Since it has been getting warmer out our furnace doesnt turn on because we have the heat set at 65. Since the furnace is not turning on we don't have hot water. The only way we've been getting hot water is to turn up the thermostat to 70 and forcing the furnace on. Is there something wrong with our hot water heater or is there a setting we can change?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the boiler forum and changed the title to better suite the problem.

Just to make sure I have it right...... you have an oil fired boiler with a coil in it for your domestic hot water. Now that the boiler isn't being called for house heating.... the DHW is no longer hot enough.

Old 04-01-19, 02:17 AM
@pjmax I suppose you're right, I'm unsure of the lingo. Thank you!

Old 04-01-19, 03:06 PM
Pics would be very helpful in determining what you actually have since you're not sure.

If you have a separate hot water with its own burner then the boiler being off would have nothing to do with it. If you have a tank that's connected to your boiler pipes on it's own zone the heat can be off but the boiler switch must be left on to maintain hot water in the tank. If you have a tankless coil built into the boiler the thermostat can be off and the aquastat control on the boiler should keep the boiler powered to heat the coil for domestic hot water when needed.

Pics would show us what you have. In either of these cases your thermostat does not have to be on to get hot water unless there is a problem with your control.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-01-19, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
I was remiss....... How-to-insert-pictures.