Repairing old radiators

Old 04-11-19, 05:18 PM
Repairing old radiators

Hi, i have two large old cast iron radiators that i'm fixing up. I took them apart pretty easily and have all the sections separated. When they were hooked up, a lot of water was leaking between the lower end of the sections. After separating them, i discovered that the push nipples that connect the sections are rotted and broken. Where can get push nipples at a decent price? I need 18 per radiator, and the only place online that I can find them is oswald supply for 15 a piece. This would be crazy expensive for both radiators. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-19, 03:56 AM
First, you need to know the manufacturer of the radiators. Radiators that do not have push nipples on the tops of the sections are for steam only. Radiators that have push nipples in the bottom and top are for hot water or steam. I would contact any large Hvac company in your area and tell them what you are looking for and ask if they have any rads lying around or have any future jobs to replace radiators. "GOOGLE" Burnham radiators and call many of the companies that sell new or reconditioned radiators. I have also called demo companies to see if they may be tearing down any old buildings with a steam or hot water system. I used RTV silicone to coat the nipples for reassembly since I was re-using the old push nipples. Lastly, try these places: U.S.Boiler company 717-397-4701 or 1-800 radiator 412-343-3685 Spending $15.00 X 18 nipples that = $270 dollars is not overpaying for push nipples. I hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.

Old 04-15-19, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the help, they are definitely for hot water. I have also thought about re using the push nipples. Some are so rotted that they cannot be fixed. I may just order replacements for the the damaged ones and use sealant on the intact ones.